5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maximize? Whats best? (2000)

Hi,
    I have a database that now runs how I want it too. It has a main form that you input data into, it then has a control to take you to another form to produce reports from the data. All working fine, so no query there.
    My query is that FrmMain is not behaving the way I would like it too. This form is used in StartUp, with the macro Maximized behind it, so that when the user starts the database the form is displayed Maximised on the screen. This is fine also, but when I click the control to take me to the form to produce reports(FrmReport) ,(also maximised) and then exit FrmReport, the FrmMain is now centred but not maximised. I would like this to remain maximised.
    I still want the user to be able to see the Toolbar at the top and the Taskbar at the bottom (is that right????). Whats the best way to do this?
    Also is there anyway to remove the design aspect of the database from prying users but still allow me to use it? Ideally without programming complicated security.
    Thanks,
    Nigel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Maximize? Whats best? (2000)

Hi,
    Thanks, thats great. Just what I was after.
    Cheers Hans,
    Nigel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't like maximized forms myself, but that's a matter of personal taste. Try setting the On Activate event of each of the forms to the Maximized macro.

You can specify in Tools | Startup... whether the database window, status bar etc. are visible.

If you just want to keep users from accidentally viewing the design of the database, you can hide the database window in Startup, and don't allow full menus, built-in toolbars and special keys. (You could provide a custom toolbar for use in forms.) You, but also everybody else, can bypass the startup options by keeping down Shift while opening the database, so this is not really secure.

You can also create an MDE database (Tools | Database Utilities | Make MDE File...). In an MDE, it is impossible to view the design of forms, reports and modules. This also implies that you must keep a copy of the original MDB, for if you want to change the design, you must do so in the MDB, then create a new MDE from it.

For "real" protection, you need user-level security. This is more complicated, but not too hard. Moderator <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has a tutorial on security, with useful links, on his website (see his profile.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to ask you another question Hans. I've removed alot of the toolbars for the forms so that the user cannot visibly see the workings of the database. Like Maximise/Minimise etc, which is the way that I would like it too look. The problem with this is that the reports also have these tools removed from them. I have the reports so that the user can view them before they print them as opposed to a simple print report control. The only problem is that the maximise,minimise and close is now removed from the reports. I've gone into the report properties in an attempt to amend this by the function to do it is not there! Any suggestions?
    If need be I'll revert back to displaying all the tools to rectify this.
    regards,
    Nigel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create a custom toolbar for reports:
    Select Tools | Customize...
    Activate the Toolbars tab.
    Click New...
    Name the toolbar (for example) Report Toolbar and click OK.
    Activate the Commands tab.
    Drag the buttons you want from the dialog onto your custom toolbar.
    Close the Customize dialog.
    Open a report in design view.
    In the Other tab of Properties, set the Toolbar property to the name of your custom toolbar.
    Repeat for each report.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,
    Thats it now!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers,
    Nigel