Star Lounger
    Thanks

Archive Settings (OutlookXP)

I'm a little confused about which archive settings Outlook actually uses when archiving. Help says to turn autoarchive on & then set archive options for each folder. If I select Tools, Options, Other, Archive and setting the time for Clean Out Items older than... and designate a file for Move old items to: do these become the global setting for all folders when auto archiving? And if so, what settings will Outlook actually use if I change the very same options for individual folders? Presumably the individual folder settings will override the "global" ones and if that's the case how/can the "global" settings be restored to all folders? When manually archiving does Outlook use the individual folder setings and ignore those that may be set from Tools, Options? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any clarification.

TanyaR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archive Settings (OutlookXP)

In Tools | Options..., you specify the global AutoArchive settings, and there is a button to apply these to ALL folders.
    If you right-click an Outlook folder in the Outlook Bar or in the Folder List, and select Properties, you can see and modify the settings in the AutoArchive tab. For each individual folder, you can specify that it will not be archives, or archived according to the global settings, or following custom settings. The "local" settings will overrule the global settings.
    If you select File | Archive, you can archive all folders, or a selected folder with all its subfolders. Archiving will proceed according to the settings specified for each individual folder (which could be to archive using default settings), but you can tick a check box to overrule the "Do not AutoArchive" setting.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

from <!mskb=239652>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 239652<!/mskb><hr>Several Outlook folders are set up with AutoArchive turned on. These folders and their default aging periods are Calendar (6 months), Tasks (6 months), Journal (6 months), Sent Items (2 months), and Deleted Items (2 months). The Inbox, Notes, Contacts, and Drafts folders do not have AutoArchive activated automatically. The Contacts folder cannot be set to AutoArchive and does not have an archive property. <hr>Does this help?
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. I think I get it now.