Thanks

Using Text in a Formula (Excel XP)

I have a spreadsheet in which I have listed the "List" prices of certain products and what they are to sell for. Some of these products mark up is lower than our mark up, so I have a formula (=IF(L16>J16,L16,J16) that compares the two and places the higher in the appropriate cell. That part I have ok. Now we found a manufacture that makes the same product at a much lower cost, and I would like to be able to mark up that piece to the same list price as the previously listed part (part numbers are different)..... I used the following formula and this works =IF(F16="TRAM",K16*5) now the problem is that I need to be able to tell it to use the other formula (=K16*1.666) if there is anything in Column "F" that does not equal TRAM.
    Thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Text in a Formula (Excel XP)

Like this?

=IF(F16="TRAM",K16*5,K16*1.666)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

that same thing just popped into my head while i was eating lunch and I came back to try it and saw your post I had that same same formula except that I tried to use OR and came up with a True"upon switching it to an IF statement it works.....
    Thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your problem has already been solved, but as a side note, =IF(L16>J16,L16,J16) can be shortened to =MAX(L16,J16)
    The MAX function returns the highest value from a series of arguments. You can also use it like this: =MAX(A1:A12)
    Similarly, MIN returns the lowest value.