New Lounger
    Thanks

Group/detail fields on same line (2000)

Any way to get grouped fields on same line as detail? I need the Grouped fields functionality without wasting vertical space on the page. Hiding Duplicates doesn't really work with more than one field, since the subordinate fields will be hidden, if same as previous value, even if higher level field changes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Group/detail fields on same line (2000)

Have you tried just moving the group field to the detail section, or for that matter just sorting on the field you wanted to group on? If you move the grouping field to the detail section you still have the group functionality.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Placing a field from a group entry into that group's section and then moving the control into the detail section causes it to repeat for every record, instead of just on a break.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

However, you can hide repeating duplicates in fields in a section, which gives you the best of both worlds.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately that does not solve the problem, as I mentioned in my 1st post. If you have more than 1 field you want to suppress. Assuming I have date with 2 key fields and detail data:

A1 B1 Detail1
    A1 B2 Detail1
    A2 B2 Detail2

I want this:

A1 B1 Detail1
    B2 Detail1

A2 B2 Detail2 .....without grouping this will be A2 (blank) Detail2

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can get the best of both worlds: put the controls in the Detail section, and set their Hide Duplicates property to Yes, but keep the grouping, i.e. leave or set Group Header to Yes for the appropriate fields in the Sorting and Grouping window. Make the height of the group header sections for these fields very small but not zero. The last is essential, if the height of the group header is zero, duplicates will be suppressed across group breaks, but if the height is non-zero, you'll get the effect you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (1.8 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I didn't actually relate my entire requirement - I did want to print key fields on the same line with the first corresponding detail line, but what I didn't say was that the primary key field was derived from 4 different columns in my table, not 1, and could not itself be sorted/grouped on. I ended up using VBA in the groupheader of the least significant field of the composite key and in the detail section...I'm sure you can imagine the code. Works very nicely.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would have been nice if you had posted the complete requirements immediately.