4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reference Query (Office 2003)

I am creating a form for use with my geneaology research. I start with requesting the name of the person. I have two fields, One for given name (s), one for the surname. These are formatted as 8 poin black. I then use these fields in the header for subsequent pages using the {Ref} field code. The Header is formatted at 14pt Blue.

My problem is that if I use a single word entry in either of the data entry fields, everything in the header appears as I want it to. However, If I use two given names, or two surnames, then things go wrong.

As an example, if I enter John James as the given name, and Smith as the surname, My Header on page two shows John James Smith as I expect, but the formatting is incorrect. The "John" & "Smith" appear as 14pt blue, but the word "James" keeps its original 8 point black. If I insert a hyphen between the "John" & the "James" in the original field, then the header changes to a correct 14pt blue header with the correct full hyphenated name.

I don't really want to create an extra field for middle name(s), so I'm interested if this is something I'm doing wrong, or is it by MS "Design"!!!!.

Thanks
    Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reference Query (Office 2003)

Select View | Header and Footer.
    Go to the header on page 2.
    Press Alt+F9 to view field codes.
    You will see something like { REF Text1 }
    Insert * CHARFORMAT before the closing bracket, so that it looks like

{ REF Text1 * CHARFORMAT }

Press Alt+F9 to hide field codes.
    Press F9 or print preview the document to update the field.
    The CHARFORMAT switch applies the formatting of the first letter of the field to the entire result.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reference Query (Office 2003)

Thanks.

Once again, its simple when you know what you're doing.