4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Error Message (97 - 2002)

Hello, I have recently had to make a seperate front end for my database as some users have 97 and some have 2002. Strangely I get an odd error message in the 2002 conversion. I have done a new databse and importde the fields and compacted and repaired etc, but still get it. It comes when I change the childfield Link, but only when I have changed the record source to certain queries.

I have made a mockup db with new forms and queries, to reproduce the code and basic operation, and do not get the error (although other odd things happen)

I have got around it by using an error check

On Error GoTo err
    err:
    If err.Number = 2001 Then Resume

this works. Does anyone know why i get this error?

Also, the Access 2002 is a lot slower than the 97? is this normal? I think the database may be corrupt, but I don't know what to do to remedy this, as all the forms / code / queries etc are in the 97 one. If it comes to it I will do a complete rebuild...eventually [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

any thoughts appreciated :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange Error Message (97 - 2002)

The error message usually means that there was a (temporary) conflict between two actions. Without knowing the details, it is impossible to pinpoint the cause.

If I understand you correctly, you have Access 97 and Access 2002 frontends to a shared Access 97 backend. The Access 2002 frontends will be sluggish to open the backend and tables in it, because the database engine has to perform a conversion. Not much to be done about that, I fear.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, thats good to know why 2002 is sluggish ( i think the site will be all 2002 soon, which will be nice).

I can post the codes that are being activated if you like. The 'temporary' confilct makes sense, as if i do the error handling it works fine.

i dont get the problem in 97. this made me wonder if it was to do with DAO definitions that you told me about before.
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2002 is more strict in what is allowed in queries than Access 97.

If you post the code involved, we can look at it, but there is no guarantee that it will be easy to find the cause.