Thread: based on

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

based on

Is it possible to have a paragraph style based on a heading style and NOT have the new style behave like a heading?

I have a "Heading 1" style, and like to have a style "Text 1" which kicks in following Heading 1.

I type a paragraph of text, Shift-Alt-Left to make it Heading 1, tap the Enter key and there I am in Text 1 style, just as I wanted. Same indentation as Heading 1, but with a regular smaller font.

I type several Text 1 paragraphs, and then decide that I want to be in Heading 2. I've just tapped the Enter key, so I'm sitting in an empty Text 1 paragraph.

No amount of Shift-Alt-Left or Shift-Alt-Right will get me a Heading 2 style.

I can Shift-Ctrl-N to go to Normal and THEN Shift-Alt-Right to go to Heading 2.

What is it about a Text 1 style, based on a Heading 1 style that WON'T allow me to demote/promote to another level?

All the more annoying because if I'm using a Heading 1 style, I can Shift-Alt-Right that to kingdom-come and back again with impunity.

(signed)"Going Insane" of Toronto.

p.s. I don't want to hear that it's a "design feature", OK?

BAM

Re: based on

Hi Chris,

What makes a Heading style "behave" like a heading is the Outline level assigned in Format/Paragraph.

So, you need to modify your Text1 Style and in Format/Paragraph, change the "Outline level" to Body Text.

As for what you are currently seeing (or not seeing) when you Promote/Demote (<Alt Shift Left/Right>): the Outline level assigned is changing and the paragraph is still being promoted/demoted. Word is just not cycling through the Heading styles and your assigned style is preserved.

Try your example in Outline View and you'll get a better idea of what is happening.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alternatively, while sitting in that blank Text1 paragraph, key Ctrl+Alt+2 and you get Heading 2. Word defaults Ctrl+Alt 1, 2 or 3 to the corresponding Heading styles. You can define the balance if wanted in Format / Styles.
    Karen

BAM

Something you may want to take into consideration if you leave the Text1 style defined with an Outline level is that many of the Word features such as a TOC, the Document Map, Outline View, etc. implement the Outline level assigned to a paragraph.

So depending on your needs, you may not want to leave regular text associated with an outline level.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>change the "Outline level" to Body Text.

Thank you. Works wonderfully now!