5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Learning SQL (2000)

Anyone care to recommend a good (intro) book on SQL? I use Access, although it is not essential that it is particular to Access SQL. I don't want to spend a fortune on a tome though. Andy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Learning SQL (2000)

There is enough unique about Access SQL that you should probably get a book based on Access - Transact SQL for SQL Server and the SQL flavor use by Oracle, DB2 and others are a fair bit different. There is an ANSI-92 standard for SQL, and you can configure Access to use it, but it really limits what you can do with queries. If you really want to save $$, this Microsoft tutorial is a place to start with the fundamentals of Access SQL, and they also have an intermediate and an advanced one you can find on that same page. Most of the popular Access books also include a chapter or two on SQL.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

All of Joe Celko's books on SQL are well worth buying, but try to find Instant SQL Programming (beginning) or SQL For Smarties (advanced).
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yet another suggestion: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL by Michael J. Hernandez & John L. Viescas. This is a clearly-written entry-level introduction to SQL, with none of the geek-speak or mind-numbing arcane terminology found in more technical SQL texts. The book is not Access specific, though one of the co-authors, John L. Viescas, is the author of the Running Microsoft Access series published by MS Press, while Michael J. Hernandez is author of another highly regarded introductory text, Database Design for Mere Mortals. The book has an endorsement (in form of the book's Foreword) from the aforementioned Joe Celko, who writes that "SQL Queries for Mere Mortals is an excellent introduction to queries in SQL. .... Here is your chance to learn those basics in an easy-to-understand and very readable book." (Mr Celko concludes his comments by stating that once you get the basics of SQL down, "come back to me and I will teach you the really tricky stuff.") Don't confuse "Mere Mortals" with "...for Dummies" -- this book would be a much better introduction to SQL than any so-called "Dummies" book, and you can apply much of its contents when designing queries and SQL statements in Access.

HTH