5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping workspace settings (2000)

I want to be able to retain the workspace settings for the next time I open a database. I assuming there isn't an option to do this directly? In which case I need an AutoExec procedure (I'm not using a start-up form). Is there an AutoClose procedure as well, to enable me to store the settings? Anyone seen this example before?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keeping workspace settings (2000)

What do you mean by the "workspace" settings? When you open an Access mdb from Access's File Open or by double clicking an mdb file in explorer, you're opening it in the newly created current workspace for that session, period. Are you talking about security settings or what? What is it that you want to do?
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you are looking for the equivalent of the "Save Workspace" command in Excel, Access does not have one. Nor is there an "AutoClose" event. To some extent, you can use an AutoExec macro (or startup form) to customize the Access interface. For example, in databases I use for my own work (as opposed to those distributed to other users), I often have a simple AutoExec macro where the first Action listed is "Maximize", because I prefer the db window to be maximized in the main application window. By default, Access opens on whichever database object pane was active when the db closed. If you always want the Tables active when db opens, you can add a RunCommand action, specifying ViewTables, to the macro. Also check the Options and Startup dialogs for default settings that can be modified. Note that some Options settings apply only to the current database, while some are application-specific and will apply to all databases - MS has these options all jumbled together in the dialog to enhance your computing experience (joke). The Startup options are database-specific. The Options settings should "stick" from one session to another.

HTH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You've spotted the most annoying feature I want to correct. to open with the Database Window maximized. I knew there wasn't an equivalent 'Save Worksapce' option in Access, but this is what I was trying to create. Isn't there a way of getting a procedure to run when Access opens, as opposed to AutoExec running for a specific database? Perhaps I could amend the command line options for the Access shortcut.. to open a particular 'dummy' database which stores info about the last used database and the placing of any open objects??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access procedures are inside Access databases, and settings like Maximize are internal to a database. Sorry, but you're going to have to learn to live with AutoExec macros for that purpose or with startup forms.
    Charlotte