2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Hangs (XP2002/1)

This week I reformatted the hard drive on my Pentium II (400MHz, 320 MB RAM) and installed Windows XP and Office XP.

I soon found that every time I select a message with an attachment, Outlook hangs. If a message with an attachment is the first message listed, when I switch to the Inbox folder, Outlook hangs.

Also, once when I selected a folder from the Folder List, the folder name disappeared, leaving only the outline of the name box ... and Outlook hung.

Can anyone offer a solution or suggestion for fixing this problem?

Thanks, Diane

Thanks

Re: Outlook Hangs (XP2002/1)

Yours is the second thread this week on this problem. Would you mind reading through this earlier one and see if it sparks any additional thoughts or details?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Hangs (XP2002/1)

I read through the post you suggested, as well as other posts suggested therein. The only other thing to which I could relate my problem was Joela's comment that the message (with the attachment) doesn't have to be opened; just clicking to select the message instantly creates the lockup. As I continued working in Outlook the next day, there were other areas (when clicked on) would cause the lockup.

In one instance, I created and sent a new mail message (one of many messages before and after it). For this particular message, however, I wanted to change the address from which I sent it to another address of mine. When I clicked on the message in the Outbox, Outlook hung ... every time I attempted it.

Now, for the surprise! Two days after I initiated this post, everything is now working without any hangups. What did I do? I have no clue.

But the hangups stopped after I decided to Restart my laptop which is networked to my desktop. The laptop is used for presentations only and operates with Windows 2000 and Word, PowerPoint & Excel 2000; it is networked only to allow me to easily transfer my presentations to it. I can't imagine how this could have anything at all to do with Outlook XP on my desktop hanging, and may not have had anything to do with it.

I only know that I have had no hangups since then, and I was even able to send the message in the Outbox mentioned above. My problem now is knowing that the problem might occur again, and I still won't know what causes it. But, then, how many times has a restart or reboot fixed a problem to which I had no answer - thousands of times.

Thanks for your help. If you have any other thoughts on this, I'm interested. Otherwise, we can close the book on this one.

Diane