jstackpo

Macro Detective Work

When I open an Excel 97 Sheet, I get a message warning me about macros. Fine. However, I wrote the s-sheet from scratch and don't remember using any macros.... Is there any way to find out what the mystery-macro is? Or is this a generic warning?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro Detective Work

No, this is not a generic warning. There must be at least a module present in the VBAproject. It may be empty, its presence is sufficient for the warning message.
    Choose Tools >> Macro >> Visual Basic Editor. In the upper left corner you should see the project explorer (if not, make it visible via View >> Project Explorer). In the project explorer window, try to find the VBAproject for your spreadsheet. See if the subdirectories contain a Module (it will contain Microsoft Excel Objects, but that's OK). If there is a module, and if it is empty, remove it, using the right mouse button (click it to see a popup menu). If there are no modules in the VBAproject, then by saving the spreadsheet, closing and reopening it, you can check if the warning message still appears.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro Detective Work

If you get a macro message on opening a spreadsheet that you know has no macros in it, it is possible you have a macro virus and you should not open the file. I client of mine had exactly the same situation and the virus spread itself to about 100 computers. We couldn't recover the data in the spreadsheet and it had to be recreated (a huge job). I would suggest a thorough virus check of your machine as a precaution.