2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Copying Outlook 2002 from one computer to another (Ver. 10.0.4024)

I should have posted here long ago but I was trying to be like the Little Red Hen and now I am totally frustrated and at my wits end. I would like to copy my Outlook 2002 from my old computer to a new one, all files, folders, messages, everything that will make Outlook work the same on the new machine as on the old. Seems like that should not be that big a deal, right? WRONG, at least in my feebleminded case. Any help that I can get from all of you folks out there who know a whole lot more about this sort of thing than I do would certainly be most appreciated. I have been struggling since November to get the new machine set up much the same as the old one. Little did I know when I bought the new computer (Dell 8300) with XP Home pre-installed that I could not simply put the hard drive from the old machine (with its copy of XP Home) into the new one and proceed merrily on my way. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I finally discovered in Woody's Windows XP for Dummies why that would not work. Don't get me started on Bill G's "BIOS blocking"!!! What a bummer! Anyway, all I can say now is...... HEEEEEELLLLLP!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Outlook 2002 from one computer to anot

Look at the suggestions in this thread and in this thread. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response! If you will bear with my abysmal ignorance, let me give you some further input. I have several .pst files in the path you referenced (less than 400MB, BTW) and I copied them to a CD-R yesterday and then, in turn, copied them into the similar location on the new machine, I swear I did! Today, I go to check and they are not there. Can there be anything to the idea that I will have to use a CD-RW (I don't have those disks at the moment) rather than just a plain old CD-R??? In the procedure outlined in KB287070 (OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data) they reference CD-RW several times and at the end they point you to 269520 OL2000: Why Outlook Does Not Support Read-Only Media. Am I missing something here or has my brain turned to oatmeal??? I had not copied over the backup files (Post 283599 et al) but will do so as soon as I can figure out how to get the .pst files migrated. Is there any reason why I should not copy over ALL the files in the two reference locations? I suspect that there is some non-applicable detritus there but will it do any harm?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked under Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options|View on your new machine?
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked, the "Hide protected operating system files..." unchecked, and the radio button for "Show hidden files and folders" activated. Any comment on the "requirement" for using CD-RW to copy/transfer the Outlook files??? It is no biggie now since I went out and bought a 5-pack of CD-RWs this afternoon. For what it is worth, Outlook created two new .pst's on the new machine (outlook6- and 7.pst) after I created the two new profiles and tried to transfer messages. When I tried to transfer messages I got an Outlook dialog box which said: "The location messages are delivered to has changed for this user profile. To complete this operation you may need to copy the contents of th old Outlook folders to the new Outlook folders. [OK, so specifically what *old* folders into what *new* folders are they talking about here?] For information about how to complete the change of your mail delivery locations, see Microsoft Outlook Help. Some of the shortcuts on the Outlook Bar may no longer work. Do you want Outlook to recreate your shortcuts? All shortcuts you have created will be deleted." Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but Outlook Help didn't seem to yield much help as far as changing delivery locations. I have a feeling that copying the contents of the secondary Outlook folder in "Documents and Settings/[Name]/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook " from the old machine to the new may resolve this and I will be attempting to do that later this afternoon/evening. If I didn't have a lot of emails on the old machine that I want/need to save, I would just cut my losses and start all over again on the new machine. I just looked again and I have less than 230MB total in the various .pst folders (the largest of those files is about 105MB), so size of the data files should not be a factor. To be honest, I don't understand why there are multiple .pst files in the first place. Anyway, I really do appreciate your help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I regret to see that I never responded to this further. Did the copying exercise yield the hoped for dividends, or are things not yet all brought together?
    Gre