Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rule to forward and leave email unread (Outlook 2002)

I want mail sent to one address end up in two Outlook users' folders. The users are in two different networks, domains, geographies, etc.

I use Outlook 2002 with a profile that includes a number of POP mailboxes. I have a rule to forward (as attachment to facilitate replies) all email received in one account. The rule also moves my copy of the email to a specified folder. This works except that the emails are shown as read before I read them. I need something to easily tell me which emails I have not yet read.

The forward recipient uses Outlook 2002 with Exchange in a domain. I have no administrator access.

Is there some way I can prevent my copy of the email from being marked as read? Or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks for any help,

JoeM

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rule to forward and leave email unread (Outloo

You could set up a rule to attach a flag to the forwarded mail when it is received. You could then clear the flag once you have read the item. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Re: Rule to forward and leave email unread (Outlook 2002)

Assuming that it is the rule that forwards a copy that marks the message as being read, could you create two, the first to move, the second to forward?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif and unkamunka,

I ended up with the double rule: 1) Move copy; and 2) forward and delete. Seems klutzy but it works. I hope it will work OK when Outlook 2002 gets busy and sometimes processes/skips rules abnormally.

I did not use the flag approach because then I would have to look into the folder to check for unread mail. I make use of Outlook's folder name bolding and unread count because most of my email gets moved before being read.

Thanks

Just a thought - is it that fact that you are moving a copy that is marking your copy as read? What happens if you just move it and forward it?

(There is also another possible side effect of making a copy then deleting the original in that a Read Receipt request may generate a 'Deleted without being read' message - see Mysterious attempts to send mail (OL2002) from a few days ago.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

I first noticed the problem with a single rule that moved and forwarded. When I split the rule in 2, I determined that the act of forwarding caused the message to be marked as read. I changed the first rule to move a copy and that left the message copy as unread. I forwarded and deleted (normal two step delete) the original message in the second rule. That message shows up in the deleted folder as having been read.

I had not considered receipt requests. I would seldom want to honor any such request. I have Outlook set to never send a receipt without asking me first. Silly me! It is sending a 'Your message ... was read ...' response without any notification in this case. I don't think I have to worry about a 'Deleted without being read' message.

Joe