2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Editing a solution on the server (Visual Studio 2003)

I got my solution working on my local IIS and I used the Copy Project button in Solution Explorer to copy to the ISP that will host it on the Internet. Now I want to open it on the ISP's server, but there is no .sln file to open!

In the same vein, I backed up the project on my hard drive using "Copy Project", but I can't open it because, again, there is no .sln file. Is there some kinda' trick?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Editing a solution on the server (Visual Studio 2003)

Great question, Gwenda!

When an ASP.NET project is deployed to a web server, the only files required are the ASPX, ASCX, and DLL files (of course, any images or other supporting files are needed too). For security and efficiency reasons, any .VB, .CS, .RESX, etc. files are NOT included in the published project. This prevents web users from seeing your VB/C# source code since it's all compiled into the DLL(s).

The idea is that you keep the original source on a development computer and use the Copy Project... command to actually deploy the final files to the server.

If you want a backup copy of the project, just do a manual copy of the folder(s) from the WIndows Explorer.

Hope this helps!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Editing a solution on the server (Visual Studio 2003)

Thanks MarkJ - All the books I've read and I've never really picked up on this! Thanks.