Star Lounger
    Thanks

Illegal operation (IE 6)

When I open IE 6, I now get an error message -- "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, congtakct the program vendor.".

What should I do

Thanks

Re: Illegal operation (IE 6)

When IE starts up, it might be loading a home page with problem content (you can change the home page in the Control Panel to bypass any problem there), or some add-ins or "helper objects" that add functionality (e.g., search toolbars). I'm not sure how to disable those additional items so you can see if IE runs correctly by itself, but I'm sure someone will be along who knows how to do that. Without first opening the browser, of course.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Something like HijackThis would be able to pick up the Browser Helper Objects that might be interfering.

rappleb - Do you think your computer might have a security problem or is it otherwise compromised?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

A large variety of situations can elicit this error message when IE runs, including a list of invalid page faults contained in the KB below and although it references an older OS and browser version many similar errors can occur in IE6. See the list of KBs here.

What's with all those error messages?

185512: "Illegal Operation" or "Application Error" Opening a Web Page

More information may be needed to zero in on the particular problem here. What is running when you open IE that may also elicit this error message? When you click on the error reporting tool's "to see what data this report contains click here", do you get information about a particular .dll or other file that could be targeted to fix? What happens when you begin browsing to a page? Do you crash to the desktop or does this happen in the middle of browsing and all windows close?

The BHO problem would be one source of this symptom, but not the only one. Running Spybot and BHO and Anti-Hijack Programs this thread can help. Spybot S&D Tools list legit and illegit BHO's on your system and can remove them.

SMBP