3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD Player messed up

Bought a used computer with DVD, CD, Iomega zip, and floppy drives. Win98SE in an Optiplex GX110.
    PROBLEM: PC Friendly Screen pops up when I start the DVD player, and immediately locks up the computer 99.5% of the
    time. When the DVD screen does comes up, it says "Power DVD". but the computer still locks up.
    QUESTION: Can I safely uninstall the PCFriendly program.....will Windows take over and let me use the Drive?
    I don't have the software for the DVD player - (it was a used computer and didn't come with any)
    thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: DVD Player messed up

Ray,

Yes, you can uninstall PC Friendly. Interactual has a free downloadable player if you need one. Two pages on their site that you might wish to check - http://player.interactual.com/help/support/default.asp and http://player.interactual.com/help/support...cles/0137.asp#A . Are you sure that you have a DVD decoder (software) on your machine? Normally this is included with the DVD player, but you say that you don't have the original software. If this is the case, you may have to purchase a product such as WinDVD or PowerDVD. These programs include a DVD software decoder.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John -
    I tried the website, and kept getting "This page cannot be displayed"........good old Internet Explorer, I guess.
    I'll keep trying, and do appreciate the info.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did some more digging, and discovered that I have both Power DVD, and PCFriendly, (the one that locks up the computer)....
    This raises the question: Do I need PC Friendly at all?? Wouldn't Power DVD play DVDs alone?? Hope that's the case.
    Also discovered that Interactual IS PC Friendly, for what that's worth. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

Yes indeed, Interactual IS PCFriendly (as per the links in my first response). No, you don't need PCFriendly IF you have PowerDVD. Uninstall PCFriendly as a first step. Many DVD movies have the Interactual Player included, and many will prompt you to install the player when you pop a DVD in the drive. Refuse the install and then launch PowerDVD and see what happens.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

For anyone comparing behavior of different PCs, be aware that Dell ships a program that runs at startup which largely prevents new DVD player software from installing (on the task list I believe it's DSentry.exe). Other manufacturers might use similar techniques.