Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How to get OE into QuickLaunch? (6, but any)

I have an IE mini-icon next to my <big>Start</big> button at the bottom left of the screen, in what I think is called the Quick Lunch (ha-ha!) area. On the desktop, my Internet Explorer icon doesn't have a "shortcut arrow" at the bottom left.

How can I put the mini-icon for OE into the Quick Launch area? My Outlook Express desktop icon DOES have a little shortcut arrow at the bottom left.

Is there a generic way of putting an arbitary program's mini-icon in the QuickLaunch area?

(Sorry, haven't yet reinstalled TechNet on this new PC!).

Thanks, Hans!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to get OE into QuickLaunch? (6, but any)

Quick Launch = putting a shortcut into the following folder: Cocuments and Settings[username]Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch. Adjust to C:Windows if running Win 9x.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Isn't it amazing what you never knew! And in an Internet Explorer subdirectory! How intuitive!

Thank you, kind Sir!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There are other ways to make OE shortcuts and the fastest way I know is the first which simply uses your "activated desktop address bar as a run box." You can also make shortcuts to the address book, to particular email addresses, and you can shortcut the number of groups that are listed from the server if you want to make it faster to go directly to the newsgroup reader.

1) Rt. click task bar>toolbars>address. Type "oe" in address bar and it's up. Type outlook in it and its up. Not formally a shortcut but a form of a shortcut that's just as fast. And I thought you would halfway like formally and form in the sentence.
    2) This time a real quickstart shortcut another way: Rt. click desktop>New>Shortcut>Type in C:Program FilesOutlook Expressmsimn.exe>desktop shortcut>drag to QS>name it whatever. But once on your quickstart unless it's one of the 3 or so items showing if you have a bunch, it's going to take longer to bring the QS item up than on the desktop or typing OE into the activated taskbar.
    3) Alternative using Browse
    4) Desktop/QS Address Book
    5) Make shortcut/QS to New Message
    6) 181985: OLEXP: How to Create a Shortcut for an Outlook Express E-mail Message (XP/OE6 as well)
    7) Shorten Newsgroup List and then create shortcut to them

SMBP

Thanks

John,

If you have a desktop icon and want to put it in the Quick Launch bar, right click the QL area and Un-check "lock the taskbar". Then you can drag the icon to the QL area and drop it in place. Right click drag will give the option to move or copy there. You can also reposition icons there in the same manner. When satisfied, check the lock taskbar again.

If you don't have a particular icon on the desktop, you can just right click the executable file and send to desktop as shortcut. Move it the QL if you wish.

I think that's what you were asking to do?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I usually left click drag any icon I want onto QL, and right drag is great for copying a folder or taking a shortcut to several folders you want it in. Also you can right click several icons at once after highlighting or lassoing them. Right clicking and sending the excecutable to the desktop and from there putting it wherever you want is a very good point I should have mentioned. I don't know if you can do this with every single executable file or folder, but it is a way of getting many items you don't expect in a shortcut form.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I used Unkamunka's method, because he was first. Bob, I will bear your method in mind for future use. SMBP - I'll read through your links.

To be honest, I still prefer having a "most used" left-hand column of icons on the Desktop which I go to first, and size most of my windows (OE, IE, Word, etc) so that this column is (usually) visible.

Ita, esto, quidcumque...