Star Lounger
    Thanks

If...then (Access 2000)

(Edited by HansV to insert space between [ and training.)

This is probably pretty simple, but I am trying to do an if..then statement with a close button. The database is simply a survey and if they choose a 1 or 2 (low score) they must fill in the comments pertaining to that score. Here is the code...

Private Sub cmdCloseFrom_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_cmdCloseFrom_Click

If [ManualEasyToRead] < 3 Or [ManualWellOrganized] < 3 Or [ManualPolicyClarifications] < 3 _
    And IsNull([Comments]) Then
    MsgBox ("You must fill in the comments because a score relating to the Online Claims Manual was 1 or 2")
    ElseIf [PacketEasytoRead] < 3 Or [PacketWellOrganized] < 3 Or [PacketMaterialClear] < 3 _
    And IsNull([PacketsComments]) Then
    MsgBox ("You must fill in the comments because a score relating to the Training Packet was 1 or 2")
    ElseIf [WorkbookClearDirections] < 3 Or [WorkbookHelpful] < 3 Or [WorkbookVariety] < 3 _
    And IsNull([WorkbookComments]) Then
    MsgBox ("You must fill in the comments because a score relating to the Workbook Materials was 1 or 2")
    ElseIf [ TrainerKnowledge] < 3 Or [ TrainerAbilityQuestions] < 3 Or <trainerConveys> < 3 _
    Or [ TrainerPrepared] < 3 Or [ TrainerProfessional] < 3 Or [ TrainerAvailabilty] < 3 _
    Or [ TrainerAdditionalMaterials] < 3 Or [ TrainerSupplied] < 3 And IsNull([ TrainerComments]) Then
    MsgBox ("You must fill in the comments because a score relating to the Trainer was 1 or 2")
    Else
    DoCmd.Close

End If

Exit_cmdCloseFrom_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdCloseFrom_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdCloseFrom_Click

End Sub

It is not working. Like I said, it is probably something real small, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: If...then (Access 2000)

What do you mean by "it isn't working"? Do you get an error or what?

One thing you might do to make your statements more readable (and to avoid any possible logic confusion) is to use parentheses to isolate the variable segments of your If statements.

For example, instead of:
    if conditionA or conditionB or ConditionsC and ConditionD then

You might use this (if this is the correct interpretation):
    If (ConditionA or ConditionB or ConditionC) and ConditionD then
    [
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: If...then (Access 2000)

For some reason unknown to me, the HTML parser gobbled up the field names in square brackets starting with Training. I inserted a space to prevent that.

The cause of your problem is probably that And has precedence above Or in expressions, so you need to use brackets like this:

If ([ManualEasyToRead] < 3 Or [ManualWellOrganized] < 3 Or [ManualPolicyClarifications] < 3) _
    And IsNull([Comments]) Then

and similarly for the other conditions.