New Lounger
    Thanks

W2k thinks printer not installed

I installed a label printer on Com1 and it works fine, but every time I boot, Windows (2k SP 4) finds new hardware and tried to reinstall it, but it can't find the drivers. In device manager, it has a yellow question mark under Other Devices, but the location is Com 1, so I know it's looking at the label printer.

How can I make Windows stop doing this? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall? (I'd rather not.)

Thanks,
    Sheila

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: W2k thinks printer not installed

Do you have Win2k drivers for the printer? If not, have you checked the hardware vendor site?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I downloaded the Win2k file from the Website, dcompressed it and ran the decompressed file setup for the installation. It went smoothly. When the hardware wizard showed up (everytime I boot), I tried pointing it to the decompressed files but it says it doesn't see any drivers there. I also tried pointing it to every directory that has any of that printer's files in it, like winnt/system32 and winnt/system32/drivers. But it keeps saying it doesn't see the needed files (whatever they are...).

Sheila

Administrator
    Thanks

Sheila, The hardware wizard is looking for a .inf file. Are there any in the folder or a sub-folder) where the driver was decompressed? Also, you may want to start over by checking your add/remove programs to see if the 'driver' install added anything else and uninstall it. Then uninstall the printer using the device manager. Re-boot after each uninstall. Unplug the printer before the last re-boot and make sure you boot without the hardware wizard showing up. Then start the install process from scratch.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I unistalled exactly as you instructed, so that on the last boot, the wizard did not show up. When I reinstalled (it's a *.exe file that decompresses and installs and then deletes the decompressed files automatically so that I can't get to them afterward), everything seemed fine. But then when I rebooted, the wizard appeared again <sigh>.

I found the inf file in the winntinf directory, and tried to point the wizard there, but it couldn't see what it needed. So I copied the file to a temp directory and tried to point the wizard there, but that didn't work either.

This is really bizarre - I hope there is some way to make the wizard go away???

Thanks,
    Sheila

Administrator
    Thanks

Sheila,
    What's the printer vendor and model? Can you open the .exe file with an un-zip utility and extract using that?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to make sure your vendor posted the correct inf file, open it up in notepad and make sure it is for your model printer. You can also right click the inf file and select install and see if that helps. Just prior to pulling your hair out and hurling the printer out the window and empting that bottle of tequila, try scanning for hardware changes using a right-clicking the appropriate section heading AFTER you try a new (or known to work) cable. If your using a parallel try a USB.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

The problem is solved - I went looking in the Knowledge Base and saw a similar problem relating to WIndowsXP, so I tried it on my Windows2k. It said to click Next at every step of the Hardware Wizard and then Finish at the end. I did and at the end when it said it was going to disable the device, I said OK (wondering what would happen...). Then I rebooted and the Hardware Wizard did not come up and surprisingly, my printer still worked!!.

It is an old Seiko Label Printer (Serial port), and from what I read, the problem is that it's not plug and play. What's really weird is that my previous system also had Win2k for its operating system, and this problem never happened on it. The only difference is that my older system only had SP3 and my new system had SP4. I'm guessing that SP4 is more like XP???

Anyway, I appreciate all your help and advice, and am very glad that everything is now OK!!

Sheila

Administrator
    Thanks

Sheila,
    That's good news. Glad it worked out.

Joe
    Joe