Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 Slow and Many Crashes (Outlook 2002)

Lately, Outlook 2002 is VERY SLOW with long waits for a simple email to open. It very often crashes.

I've archived everything up to Jan. 1, 2004 to take some of the weight out of the folders. I've run scandisk and defrag. I've reloaded Outlook twice.

I run McAfee Clinic all the time. I have not had any viruses show up.

Any ideas?

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm running JunkOut to handle all the spam. (I get tons.)

The program is virtually unusable. I'd hate to have to move to another program because I have everything set up in Outlook, and Junkout does a fantastic job of handling spam.

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 Slow and Many Crashes (Outlook 2002)

Is it possible to disable McAfee and/or JunkOut temporarily to see if this makes any difference?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 Slow and Many Crashes (Outlook 2002)

Thanks for the suggestion. While I was searching for a way to disable Junkout for a trial, I came across their FAQs. They described my very situation. It's a Microsoft bug. Color me surprised!

The fine folks at Junkout instructed me to close Outlook and delete the outcmd.dat file if it was over 48 kb. Mine was over 2000kb! I deleted it, and the cure was instantaneous!

What a relief. Thanks for prompting me to check so that I found the FAQs and the answer. And I highly recommend Junkout to handle the odious SPAM that comes our way.