Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer problem

When I open Windows Explorer, my expectation (and functionality that worked up until today) is that I would see a tree list on the left side of the window and a list of files (or icons) on the right.
    What I'm seeing instead is a Gray box on the left side (this is bad) and files on the right side (this is ok).

Anyone ever hear of this before? is there a registry setting that I can adjust?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer problem

Lance--

Often this traces to a corrupt/damaged explorer bar value in this key is damaged. Export the key>delete the value>restart.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain

See:

Subject:Missing folders pane in windows explorer

MS has a KB with the same remedy although it is labled for 95 and 98. I didn't find one for XP/2K in the MSKB, but did find several references to the same key's value for NT OS's in different newsgroups:

192315: "All Folders" Pane Missing or Windows Explorer Is Blank

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer problem

In the interest of sharing with other loungers... here is what I did.
    First, thank you to SMBP for the attempt at finding the answer. After I had posted this message I had found the tip regarding the registry entry in other message boards etc...
    It didn't work. There was no value there to delete, not sure why it stayed gone but it did.

Eventually I figured out that by going in to Add/Remove Programs and repairing the internet explorer installation, it would fix my problem. I tried it and it worked. I really should have grabbed a before and after snap shot of my registry but forgot to do so.
    In a nutshell, I have a solution, but do not know specifically what was done to my system to fixit.
    Thank you again!