2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Append Query (97sr2b)

I been working on this present dBase for a number of years. The dBase is based on accounting practices. I've built a Chart of Accounts related the LineItem tables to it and like magic I can generate accounting reports. Everyone is happy, till this year, (I,m not happy), our Accountant now wants a GLTransactions table. So I built a GLTransactions table, now I have to append about 136,000 transactions to this table, not the hard part. I would like appreciate help to create some sort of routine that I automate this action. I am not strong in developing code.

Thank You Kindly
    John
    threecrow

Don't make excuses. It's what you do, not why you didn't.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Append Query (97sr2b)

Perhaps somebody who knows exactly what you mean will read this. For the rest of us, you will have to explain what Chart of Accounts, LineItem and GLTransactions are, and what you want to do with them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Where are these General Ledger transactions coming from and what are you having difficulty with and which part are you wanting to automate? I understand the accounting aspects, so explain more about the process.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Miss Charlotte

The GLTransactions are coming from SalesOrders, SalesCreditMemo, POReceived, POCreditMemo, InvoicePayments, SuplirPayments, GLAdjustments,etc.

I
    Attached Files Attached Files
    threecrow

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not clear on why you want both a debit and credit field in the table. The more usual structure is to enter a single side of the double entry transaction in each record, debits as positive and credits as negative and possibly with a field to indicate whether the item is a debit or credit. Both sides of the transaction don't get posted to the same account code, so I see no reason for two fields. Having a single field allows you to quickly determine whether everything balances by simply summing the field. If the positives and negatives balance, the result will be zero. Anything else indicates an error of some kind.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes mam your absolutely right, I could not agree more. In fact sense November of 1999, this little system has run perfectly without a Chart Of Accounts and without this General Ledger Transactions table. I've generated Balance Sheets, Income Statements, and most any other report necessary to take care of business. Why this is needed I do not for the life of me know, the accountant wants this added in. So it is up to me to add it in, as I am not a CPA nor am I Book Keeper.
    threecrow

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like he wants a full general ledger application, although with imported data and not direct entry. However, if you are charged with creating it, then you also have a responsibility to tell the accountant when he has his head on backward. You do NOT just build whatever someone asks for without understanding the purpose. Otherwise you wind up with something that is unwieldly, if not all wrong, and you're the one who gets blamed for not making it work.

Find out if what he's looking for is a *report* showing both sides of a transaction. If that's the case, it shouldn't be designed with a debit and credit field in the same record, it should be designed properly and a report or query created to display both sides of the transaction. Since both sides of the transaction will NOT be applied to the same account code, it makes no sense to design the table that way. You will have to enter at least two records for each transaction anyhow, so there is no percentage in going along with his proposed design. It buys you nothing, and it's much easier to get the transactions misposted with separate fields like that. If he questions my credentials, tell he I was a bank controller for 4 years and a working accountant for 2 more. I was doing bookkeeping and accounting long before I became a programmer.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will stop this thread here
    threecrow