3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inaccurate saves

I need some help to find which part of my computer or program is doing this:
    I convert bmp CAD drawings into 3D using an architectural program (it's cheap). Recently, if I save a series of drawings in
    the 3D portion of the program, and save each selected image, the image in the file is at least one selection off! For instance,
    I will save a side view, but the image turns out to be a front view which was saved either before or after the side view.....
    The machine is an Dell Optiplex GX 110 with gigabytes of everything, so it's not overloaded at all.
    QUESTION: What part of windows would be causing this? Or, why would you guess this would suddenly crop up after many
    YEARS of using the program?? It's very frustrating and confusing, so I'd appreciate any clues.

Thanks

Re: Inaccurate saves

What software are you using?
    Typically, what are the filenames used for saving, and do you define them or the program?
    Are you saving into a fresh, empty folder? - if not, what happens when you do?

If you haven't done one recently, I would also suggest you carry out a Scandisk as outlined in <post#=348031>post 348031</post#>.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any experience with 3D software but could it possibly be something you're accidently doing from inside the program? I'm thinking of something like a Paint Shop Pro or Animation Shop program where you have to be careful using frames or layers, especially if you're saving or exporting material from a previously loaded file. Has your software recently been updated or upgraded, possibly introducing a "new" problem?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Could you by chance changed to "First Angle Projection" vs "Third Ange Projection"?

I know that front and side are completly different views but I have seen a lot of strange things happen in the CAD-CAM software world.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. OK, here's how it works: I draw the image, click on the 3D icon, and it is shown in silhouette in Internet
    Explorer. At this point, the software allows for rotating, raising, lowering the image. I select the view I want, name and save
    the file. The name is (typically) "side-right", then it automatically saves that image in Windows Explorer in the Program's files.
    It saves the image as a .bmp or .jpg. As I move the image around, and select different angles/views, it's the same procedure
    until I have as many as ten views of the same object. I have used this program since 1997, and have never run into this
    before. CLUE: I recently bought a different computer - Dell Optiplex GX 110, running Win98SE. The program I use is called "'myHouse", an architectural program that I have used for years with several updates, but none recently as the problem
    has shown up. Sorry for the long story, but I hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Gosh, I bought a copy of that software a number of years ago for a client I was doing some training with - wish I could get my hands on it again. I wonder if you can change the folder location into which the files are saved and if that might "goose" the program into doing it right? I can't think of any examples where Win98 caused filenames to get messed up, so my feeling is that it must be a problem with the software. Also, suppose you were to save the first view with whatever filename but on the second and succeeding views, radically change the filename to something else? I know I'm not answering the question and admit I'm fishing. Are there by any chance updates to the software available?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi doc - The software is still available for about $30.00 U.S. Go to "designwareinc.com" - even has a free demo available.
    Also, and finally, I think I know what was causing the problem of inaccurate saves...............I had downloaded some free programs, and yesterday, I did an update and scan of my virus program. I had 5 infected files! They're gone now, but to hit
    me once more, I have lost my sound. I'll keep working on that, but the saving problem is over. Thanks to all who replied,
    and glad the headache is over.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm glad one problem is solved and sorry you've got a new one. Good luck with beating down the sound problem. If you need help after you pound on it for awhile, holler!