New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot install Updates 832894, 832483, and 814078 (XP Pro SP1)

Windows Update keeps telling me the three updates are ready to install. The first two install successfully, and they show up in the Update History as successfully installed, yet they won't go away. The third one consistently fails.

I've tried all combinations, one at a time, with or without rebooting at various points, the result is always the same.

When I download Q832894.exe (that's the one I really want to have!) and run it, then it tells me that it's already installed, but it does not show up in IE's About Box, and the file versions (e.g. browseui.dll) is still 6.0.2800.1106 instead of ...1400, if the update were really installed.

I also tried downloading the file for 814078, which is js56nen.exe. If I run it, I get

Windows Script 5.6
    INF Install failure. Reason: the I/O operation has been
    aborted because of either a thread exit or an
    application request.

This happens even in Safe Mode!

My jscript.dll is 5.6.0.8513, so probably don't even need the patch, and moreover, the KB article says "A more recent critical security update is now available" and points to Windows Update. But 814078 keeps coming up and failing to install...

I maintain tight security, but I'm wary of doing Windows Updates, because they often mess up something. However, I wanted to get the Cumulative Service Update for IE (832894), and so I recently downloaded a host of updates at the same time. (I know this is not ideal, but I'm not convinced that the sum of the pain from downloading them as they become available is less.) Everything installed fine except the three listed above, including the one that I really wanted to get...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Hans

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot install Updates 832894, 832483, and 814078 (XP Pro SP1)

I finally found the solution to my problem: I run GoBack on C: but not on D: and I changed all my temporary paths to D:. However, I found that some junk still kept appearing in C:WINDOWSTEMP, so I removed that directory and created a read-only file of that name. That did indeed keep the junk out, but apparently some of Microsoft's patches are hard-wired to C:WINDOWSTEMP, and they will fail to install (but still announce success!) if they can't write to that directory...

Hans