New Lounger
    Thanks

'Compress folder' a good security tool? (Win XP Pro SR1)

My boss gave me a copy of a Jul 2003 PCWorld article that recommended using password protection on a compressed folder (a facility built into Win XP utility, apparently). You apparently make it invisible by nesting one folder in another to hide even the names of the password-protected file.

Is this a good idea? Is it hackable? Is it a pain to use? A Google search doesn't turn up any opinions on the security aspect of Compress folder.

Is there a better way?

Thanks
    Mitch

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Compress folder' a good security tool? (Win X

Is this a good idea?
    {-----------------}
    Sounds decent to me. All the famous shareware zip file programs (WinZip etc) have had this for years now. Hight time Windows caught up. This makes it simpler, since you do not have to install another program to make it work.

Is it hackable?
    {-----------------}
    Anything is hackable, given enough time. What is more important is, is it sufficiently secure for your needs? A weak password is more damaging than a program bug, more often than not. I think it is reasonably secure in day to day use.

Is it a pain to use?
    {-----------------}
    Security is always a pain to use. That is one reason why most PCs are not secure; it's too much hassle. If you want to password protect, what happens after the password is more important.

Might I suggest looking into the native file system encryption that NTFS formatted drives can provide? It may be better suited to your needs.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, thanks for your comments. I'll definitely look in the native NTFS encryption feature.
    Could you recommend a good source on this?

Mitch

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Mitch, I agree with Mark about the NTFS encyption. However, I'm pretty sure that it is a one way encryption. If you lose or forget the password you're in big trouble. The data would be very difficult to retrieve.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I think the key for EFS encryption is stored in the part of the registry that is linked to your Windows username/password. Unless you delete your username or forget your Windows password, or you have a system catastrophe, you should be able to retrieve the files. (There also is the ability to create an administrator backup password to access the files; the details escape me right now, but I think you save the key in a on a floppy or other removable media and lock it up.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To add an alternative password you can use Group Policy, Navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Public Key Policies. Right click on Encrypting File System and choose Add Data Recovery Agent...

StuartR