2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disable Application Window Min, Max & Close

Word 97 (SR2) on Win95/98

This post relates ever so slightly to my previous post (#31633) and relates to my efforts to stop Word asking my users to save normal.dot and a global add-in on exit/quit.

Previously, I've always used an AutoExit() macro to trigger an event that sets the NormalTemplate.Saved (and/or Templates(pathglobal.dot).Saved) property to True. This event never triggers when users use the application window close button (the X, up there on the right) to Exit Word though.

I popped over to the Word VBA newsgroup and was pointed to an excellent article at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/AppClassEvents.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Macros...lassEvents.htm</A>

Unfortuantly, creating this Class Module and declaring an oApp_Quit event procedure does exactly the same as an AutoExit() and, most importantly, it fires after any

kelliel

Re: Disable Application Window Min, Max & Close

First as you are probably aware, making the global addins read only will solve any overwriting. However, it does not solve the user getting the question.

Second, if you let each person on the network have their own normal.dot, and set the prompt to save normal.dot to false, the user will not be notified when their own normal.dot has been changed (which, personally, I think is not a good idea). This change from a global normal.dot to an individual normal.dot can occur programmatically.

At this point, all you are left with is changes to the global addins, which should never be occurring from just the operation of the program.

Therefore, (a) since you set the global addins to read only and they are not changed during the normal operation of the system, your global addins are now secure, and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] since everyone has their own normal.dot, that, too, is not a problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also, you may want to run a search on the word "disable" at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vbcode.com>http://www.vbcode.com</A>. They may have something which disables the application window's close feature. However, I do think that Lawrence's suggestion of making the globals read-only is the more practical solution, and going a step further to making the folder read-only to prevent users from adding templates without IT Management's review and approval.
    Karen

kelliel

Forgot about the folders/directory. Excellent idea.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Some useful pointers that I'll investigate further; vbcode.com does have some code, some relating to API calls and some to VB forms. I'll see where they take me.

Thanks again,

Ade

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back also! As you suggest, Word shouldn't be changing the global add-in from just the operation of the program, but it is.

A simple fire up of Word and then an immediate shut-down via close X window button prompts to save global.dot. Strange? I'll have to check my code to see if its doing something odd.

Thanks for the pointers.

Ade