New Lounger
    Thanks

Work load distribution (2000/2002/2003 (all German))

When you show the workload of the ressources you have the option to assign a special work distribution instead of the standard "flat" one (i.e., early peak, double peak, late peak, etc).
    My problem: instead of only distributing the work load in a different way, it also changes the total! you have to re-type the original work load.
    Does anyone know, why this happens, what formulae are used, and/or how to get around?

Thanks

Re: Work load distribution (2000/2002/2003 (all German))

Using the work contours re-distributes the work assigned across a particular task based on the profile selection. The total Work should stay the same; it should just be profiled differently.

You say that it changes the total. Is the total work being changed or some other total?

Could you please clarify which totals are being changed when using the contours? Are there multiple resources on the task? Multiple calendars being used? Units? .. all of which can effect totals.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

The work total for this task and this ressource is being changed. What you described in your first para was what I had expected!

Single ressource, standard calendar (more or less, just holidays added but not in the time period in question). Standard display unit is days for duration and hours for work.

Thanks

The only items that I can think that could cause problems are:

- Using both task and resource calendars
    - If the task is fixed as opposed to effort driven

Note that for fixed duration tasks, if you assign a contour, project applies the contour but will stop when it reaches the end of the task duration. As a result, the contoured resource will have less work assigned then when you started. This may be what is causing the totals to change. You also have to account if the contour causes resources to increase over the standard daily hours and overtime may also be added.

Also note that on effort driven tasks, if your contour applied to one resource causes the duration of the task to increase, the other resources effort may spread as well but along a flat contour. If you have a rate change during this timeframe, totals could be effected as well.

I tried re-creating your problem here, but the contours worked without issue.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for this tip.
    Actually, as a general rule I create tasks as fixed duration and not effort driven. A work load of 100% can certainly not be assigned a contour. But I tested with loads as low as 20% - and still the total work gets reduced!

I do believe, that an error message should be created if Project can not fit a contour into the duration, instead of just reducing work!