New Lounger
    Thanks

running virus scan (2003)

OK...word 2003 on xp pro sp1.
    just what the heck is the "running virus scan" thing that comes up on the status bar?
    1. Is there a way to get rid of it? Is there some reason why I should think that I don't want this thing going in the background?
    2. Any way to turn it off?
    3. help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: running virus scan (2003)

Do you have Norton Anti Virus? If so, turn off the Office Plugin. It is not necessary as long as you let Auto-Protect do its job, and it is the cause of numerous problems. In my version of NAV, the setting is in Options > Other > Miscellaneous.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have Norton CE. I do not find any option for the Office plug-in. I asked around the office, and some other folks have noticed this also. Doggone annoying.
    Got any other ideas? I have looked high and low for a fix for this.

TIA.

Thanks

I saw you posting about turning off that Virus scan on word. I have NAV 2001 and followed your advice and shut off mu office plug in. Now all my word documents open up ten times faster. I always thought is was something I would have to live with. I found mine under Options>Other>General and I un-checked plug-ins. I just have one question. That is, will this ignore Macro viruses?
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pauliez:
    Hans is offline right now. No. You're still protected as long as you are running the AutoProtect. You don't need the plug-in.
    Cheers,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

My recollection is that the Corporate Edition does not have any way to disable the NAV Office plug-in.

Not only does the plug-in slow things down, it has been known to cause grief wit hmacros.

Thanks

Thank you Phil.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You may be able to disable the Office plugin by unregistering OfficeAV.dll. Do a search for OfficeAV.dll on your hard disk. If you find it, write down the full path, or copy it to the clipboard. Then select Start | Run... and enter

regsvr32 /u "<path>officeav.dll"

where <path> is the full path to OfficeAV.dll, for example

regsvr32 /u "crogram filesnorton antivirusofficeav.dll"

Then press Enter. If you don't have OfficeAV.dll or if this doesn't work, do you have any add-ins loaded into Word, such as EndNotes? One of them could be the cause. See Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My recollection, confirmed by a quick browse of the Symantec web site, is that Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition does not include the Office Plugin at all. You can see the article that includes this text by searching their knowledge base for article id 2002091815593448
    <hr>
    Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition and Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition do not contain a plug-in for Microsoft Office, although the retail version of Norton AntiVirus does. AntiVirus plug-ins for Office scans Office documents when they are opened and before they are released to the operating system. This is an additional layer of protection. The Filesystem Realtime Protection feature of Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition and Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition will still provide full protection against any macro-based threat, even without a plug-in for Microsoft Office.
    <hr>

StuartR

Thanks

Try starting Word with the /a switch to disable any global macros. (Start>Run>winword.exe /a) If this gets rid of the message, then someone (IT?) has purposely caused it to appear by putting some code in a global template or add-in.

New Lounger
    Thanks

First off, thanks for the help!
    It turned out to be EndNote. I would really like to know just WTF EndNote is doing that causes this.
    Could it be the built-in Macro checking security thing?

As a good thing, my system is really clean now.

John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Not likely.

Most likely due to sloppy implementation of EndNote.

I've had to do tumblesaults to avoid similar problems with Acrobat, see http://www.standards.com/OhMyWord/VBABugsFeatures.html.