2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel.exe (2000 SP2)

I am running Excel on a Windows XP PC. Occasionally, normally when I run a particular xlt file excel crashes, on attempting to restart Excel it prompts me to open personal.xls as read only as another copy of Excel is running. If I look in the Task Manager an excel.exe session is indeed running. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? If so, can you shed some light on why this may be happening?

Many thanks

Kind regards

John

Thanks

Re: Excel.exe (2000 SP2)

What kind of code is in the XLT?
    It sounds like it opens another xls session (giving you 2 open) before it crashes, then one crashes. When you try to open another version, it gives the warning.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Correction: The ploblem is when running a macro in excel 2000 spreadsheet(just a normal .xls file ignore xlt)
    I know what causes excel to crash , what I don't understand is why does the excel session remain (excel.xls still running in task manager.)
    running on windows XP operating system running active directory the spreadsheets are located on a windows networked drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this many times before: an Excel instance seems to crash, but is still there in task manager, locking the files it had open. I guess it is just one of those things. Terminating the crashed process frees the files it has locked and prevents the other message you get.

I do think your xlt contains a corruption. Visit this page for some information about corrupt files.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

I find it best to reboot (after everything that can be saved is saved) after a program crashes. There seems to be frequent "quirkiness" after a crash and your system is not as stable.

This will prevent the "problem" of the other open occurences.

Steve