Lounger
    Thanks

Word as the email editor (XP/2002)

I'm not sure if this is linked to my earlier post or not but if you use Word as the email editor is it normal for the document number in word to tote up. I find myself at the end of the day when i open a blank document in Word that i'm on Document 150+ i assume this is taking into account all of my blank documents as well as any new emails i've created. Is this supposed to happen? if not does anyone know how to stop it or at least why its happening. i have a strange feeling that this probably tied into my other word/outlook problems

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word as the email editor (XP/2002)

Yes, the increment of document? number will increase - you are using word to generate all your new e-mails, so everytime you click on new e-mail it will open a 'new blank document' in word. I am strongly against using Word as the E-Mail Editor in Outlook - it causes many problems, i.e., memory hog, Word has irregular response/actions, etc. Just go to Microsoft's Knowledge Base and type in Word as E-Mail Editor and look at all the possible problems you could encounter. If you require extra formatting for a particular e-mail, use Word as the E-Mail Editor only for that E-Mail by clicking on Actions, New Message Using, Word? (I can't remember the exact command for Word). Hope this helps with the problems you are encountering... trish

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with the above, if you need the extra formating try using "HTML" format for your email. This can be selected in most all email editors.

One of the first things I do on any new machine is to turn this off and NOT use Word as the Email editor.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

We've had xp in for some 18/20 months now and have experienced no problems with word as the email editor. I can't explain how this has started and i'm a bit worried about trying to convince all users they can't use word anymore. Trying to wean them off that is going to be tough, word allows for lazy typers when you take away some of those options people are going to notice them

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I would expect this to happen if, during the day, you never have both Outlook and Word closed down. HTH
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

I would expect that its quite often people go throughout the whole day without having both Word and Outlook closed

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The suggestion to use Word as email editor only when you need its formatting capabilities is fine, but it's easier than drilling through the Actions menu. If you do this often, just use Customize to put a toolbar button for that menu command right next to the regular new message button on the left of the toolbar. Starting a new message is as simple as clicking either of the new message buttons, depending on which editor you want to use.

Of course, any other menu command you use frequently can be made more accessible with Customize.

Incidentally, I have used Word as editor off and on since Outlook 97 (I'm now using XP) and have never had a problem.

Fafner