New Lounger
    Thanks

Bad registry font entry (Version 2002 - SP1)

Some months ago I installed and shortly after uninstalled a piece of software that made fancy use of fonts. The uninstallation was buggy - it obliterated a number of registry entries for fonts and all fonts seemed to disappear, making the Win XP PC unusable! A knowledgeable friend of mine with remote access was able to restore the font registry entries and we thought all was well. However, there turned out to be one remaining bug. Certain applications windows use the old largish FIXEDSYS font in displaying text, which can (1) increase the window size to be larger than the monitor and (2) crowd out some of the text from a fixed size window so that you can't read it all. I'm no registry expert, but I suspect there's one line in the registry that needs addition or replacement. My friend didn't know where in the registry to look. I made the mistake of phoning Microsoft ($35/incident) and they refused to let me talk to anyone who knew about fonts or the registries - they said either do a Restore (really too much time has passed since the incident) or a clean Win XP install. This seems like major surgery when minor surgery is called for. Does anyone have any hints or pointers? If we know exactly where to look and what to look for, my knowledgeable friend will be happy to amend the registry again for me.

Many thanks,

Harry Kaplan

Thanks

Re: Bad registry font entry (Version 2002 - SP1)

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/FontMapper. FIXEDSYS should appear as a DWORD value with a hex value of 9000 (at least on my system). If this exists on your system, try setting the value to hex 9000. If it does not exist, you can create the entry (edit, new, DWORD value). Hope this helps..
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That's the only entry in my XP Pro registry with the word FIXEDSYS in it, and my value corresponds with John's, above - 0x00009000 (36864)

Good luck!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. I checked, and my FIXEDSYS entry in FontMapper is identical to yours. Sigh. If only I knew how these windows were getting the large font (if it indeed is FIXEDSYS). It's occurred in McAfee VirusScan windows, Adobe reader windows (the Print window, to be specific), and some specialized software I've installed. I think it would cost to much to have someone troubleshoot the problem unless they were true experts in fonts and the registry, and I think Microsoft should be ashamed for charging me $35 and giving me nothing but a general answer I could have found in a book costing less than $35.

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Given that my FIXEDSYS entry looks like yours and other John's, is it possible that a different font, which these applications windows are trying to use, got somehow redefined in the registry to have the same properties as FIXEDSYS (or at any rate some properties different from what the actual font should have)? If so, how would I track the problem down?

Thanks,
    Harry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Harry

It's getting a bit confusing with all these Johns about, so you can call me Rebecca (!!), who is my userpic... (How come you are MaryK?!)

I would suggest that you get out your XP CD (hopefully at SP1), close all programs down, and go into a Command Prompt window and type
    SFC /SCANNOW
    to run the System File Checker. This may do absolutely nothing, but it should replace any corrupted "protected" files on your hard disk from the ones on the CD.

If that doesn't work, list all the .FON files in the C:WINDOWSFONTS directory (note that the FONTS directory, and most of the .FON files, are hidden) and see whether what you get from (say)
    DIR C:WINDOWSFONTS*.fon /aa
    matches my attachment.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Rebecca. My wife, who set up the account here, is Mary Kaplan and I am Harry Kaplan. My XP CD is not at SP1 - it's earlier, and I remember updating the system with a Microsoft download for SP1. That being the case, I'm guessing it might be dangerous to run the System File Checker as per your first suggestion - yes?

HArry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Harry

If I were you, I'd read through <!mskb=310747>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 310747<!/mskb>, which seems to indicate that replacement versions of damaged "protected" files are obtained from a cache on disk. However, I read that /SCANNOW "may require access to the Windows installation source files.

I'm afraid I've never used SFC on XP, so perhaps anyone with experience of using it on an XP box upgraded to SP1 with an original XP installation CD could advise, please?

John, err, Rebecca (!)

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

John,
    If I recall correctly, on XP once updated to Sp1SFC is aware of SP1 and uses the SP1 files where required.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Are you saying that even if SFC called for my non-SP1 XP installation CD, everything would still be all right and I wouldn't end up with contradictory file versions?

Thanks,
    Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Hi Harry,
    Sorry I took so long to get back. Was out of town for a few days. The short answer is YES. You can see several threads in the MS Newsgroups by looking at this google search: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=l...lic.windowsxp.*.

Joe
    Joe