New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 (2003)

I am having a problem in Outlook 2003 trying to use my past ".pst" file called outlook.pst which had my personal folders with saved emails etc.
    In lieu of allowing me to use this folder, it give my the message "The file outlook.pst is not a personal folders file." Has anyone ever encountered this same problem and how they resolved it (if they did). thank you

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 (2003)

When you installed Outlook did it create a new .pst for you? If so, Outlook likes to default the main .pst it is using to Outlook.pst. You may want to try renaming the old Outlook.pst - close Outlook and find the path of the old .pst file and rename. Open Outlook . You can then open the old .pst with the new name... did that work?

I haven't been able to test the new Outlook 2003 environment with an upgrade of older versions of Outlook; however, am currently training IT people on the new 2003 version. Microsoft, in it's wisdom, decided to change the format of .pst files from ANSI format (Versions Prior to Outlook 2003 (97, 98, 2000, 2002(XP)) to UNICODE format. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Product=out2003. Supposedly, though old .pst's should work in Outlook 2003; however, if you create a .pst in Outlook 2003 using the new UNICODE format, you can not go back to an older version with that .pst.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your prompt reply Trish. When I installed outlook 2003 I DID create a new pst file because I knew from past outlook installs it would read my own pst or old one I should say. 2003 does not want to read my old now because as you say MS changed the format. I was trying to get saved work. Guess I will get a pc that has the older version of outlook and see if it will read the pst file I need.
    Thanks again for your help and have a nice day. These posts are really great.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just to say that when you want to refer someone to an MSKB article in the Lounge, you can use the following (undocumented) markup when preparing your post: <!t>[mskb=830336]<!/t>. This will render in your post as <!mskb=830336>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 830336<!/mskb>. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two other things you may want to try.
    1. If you get your .pst open on the 'old version', try the Compact Now option to clean it up. You'll find this in Tools, Services (older than XP) or File, Data File Management (XP and newer). Select the .pst you want to Compact and click on Properties (older than XP) or Settings (XP and newer). You will find the Compact Now button in this dialog. BE PATIENT, this is a long and unforgiving process, but it will probably help your .pst work more efficiently.
    2. Try the scanpst.exe which is resident on your computer. This is a file created with the operating system. If there is any corruption in the .pst, this file will clean it up. To find the executable, click on Start, Find and search for the file name. Double-click on it from the results window and navigate to your .pst.

Maybe, if we cross our fingers, one of these utilities will fix your current problem... good luck... trish