2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop won't hibernate

After buying my nice new desktop computer I decided to move all of the data off my laptop and reinstall everthing on it from scratch.

It is a Compaq Presario laptop and I did a complete reinstallation of Windows XP Home and now find that the hibernation option is missing. Windows Help refers me to a hibernate tab on the Power Options screen (from Control Panel) but I see no such tab. There are four tabs - Power Schemes, Alarms, Power Meter and Advanced - none of which addresses the question. I used the three CDs that came with the computer which are supposed to return everything back to the original factory settings, but I don't seem to be able to get back to the 'as new' set up. The Help topic on 'hibernation' indicates that if the hibernate tab is missing then the laptop doesn't support that option - but it did in the past (ie., when it was new)

HELP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptop won't hibernate

Did you check the BIOS since you restored? Maybe Power Options in the BIOS got changed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went into the BIOS and there's nothing obvious. The only settings are Time, Date, Password and Boot choices.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never been in the BIOS of a Compaq so I need (want) to ask this carefully. Are you sure? There has to be settings somewhere in the BIOS for stuff like power control, maybe IDE settings, type of printing, and so on. I know that a laptop may not have all the advanced settings available in a desktop, but there surely must be more..... Well, I just thought I'd ask.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's been a while since I ventured into the arcane settings on any computer. I do seem to recall that there were a lot more settings to play with than are apparent on my laptop. There were thre 'tabs' at the top one related to time, date, and passwords. The next related to boot options and the last had the exit options (ie., save, don't save etc.,) Nary a word about power options.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you looked at the Compaq web-site for online support? Pre-HP, there used to be a wealth of material - although I'm speaking from workjstation (rather than laptop) experience. HTH
    Gre

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When you rebuilt the OS did you use the CDs from Compaq or were they a retail version?
    If NOT from Compaq, did you install ALL of the drivers for that make and model?

You will have to get them from Compaq, and some laptops come with separate Power Management software with includes the battery charger and hibernation.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let me say this up front, I do not like Compaq computers. None of the people that I know that have had them like them. With that said you need to go into the Device Manager and right-click "Computer and click on "Scan for Hardware Changes". You may need to reboot. Then check "Power Options" again. Do the same with "System Devices" as well. There should be references to ACPI listed. Sometimes the installation, especially from the dreaded restore discs do not work very well. If your installation is not at the SP1 level this also might make a difference. Good Luck.