Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting links in files (2000)

I have an Excel file that has lots of links to different files. When I open the file it always tells me that I have links to other files that cannot be updated. What I want to do is delete this link, as I have no idea what the file is trying to link to or where in the file the link is, but I can't. When I go Edit, Links I can locate the link in the list, but there is no way of choosing to remove this link.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Laurie

3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Deleting links in files (2000)

It'ssome time since I had to deal with this problem, but I think that I edited the links so that they referred to the file from which they pointed. If that's what I did, it worked.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Links are often hidden in places other than cells (which are easily modified) so you really need a tool to find them. Links are often found lurking behind Names, in charts which have been copied from another workbook, behind Buttons or Shapes as references to macros, etc.

Navigator Utilities has a Link utility which finds all your links and helps you delete them.

regards

Lounger
    Thanks

I have found that the link feature works differently in different versions of Excel. When I used 97 I was able to remove links by linking the file to itself. With 2000 you will get an error message when going to Edit - Links - Change Source and selecting the file you are working on.
    I was told that the latest version for XP has added a remove link feature but for 2000 the only way I was able to remove the links is to individually find each one adjust it manually.
    Try this:
    On the Edit menu, click Find.
    In the Find what box, type an exclamation point ! , and then, in the Look in box, click formulas
    Because a linked formula uses the ! you will be able to find each instance of a link and change however you want.

Hope this helps
    Have A Great Day
    yoyo

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brilliant, the ! has done the trick. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Laurie

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by tony55 on 13-Mar-04 16:12. Updated link to Stephen Bullen's site. The old site was hijacked by a sick individual.)</P>You could try Bill Manville's free FindLink add-in. It is available from Stephen Bullen's Site. An alternative download site for this utility is http://www.acctadv.com/exdownload.shtml