2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rotate Image in Word 2000 (2000/SR-1)

Is it possible to rotate a .jpg file in Word 2000?

The Picture Bar doesn't have that option, and the Drawing toolbar has it grayed out.

Thanks, Diane

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rotate Image in Word 2000 (2000/SR-1)

It shouldn't be a problem. Did you check the layout? if it has the Layout - In Line with Text, then it's not possible to rotate. Select any other Layout and then go to the Drawing Toolbar. The Layout is in the Format Menu under Format Picture.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cathy:
    I get the same result as Diane. I can't rotate pictures in Word 2000...well, if I'm able to disassemble the picture first, I can. But I can't disassemble a jepg picture.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The layout was 'In Line with Text.' I changed it to Square, then Tight, then Behind text. Each time it was grayed out on the Drawing Toolbar.

Diane

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried using "Edit picture"? My graphics files are associated in Windows Explorer with Photo Editor, so when I use Edit picture, the pictures open in Photo Editor. Then under Image there is the option Rotate, with various options.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I choose 'Edit Picture,' the Edit Picture Toolbar appears. The only option there was to close it. When I right-clicked on the image, there were no new options. When I double-clicked the image, the Format Picture dialog box appears.

Diane

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diane:
    You can either change your .jpg association to MS Photo Editor or go to Tools/Options/Edit & change the photo editor to MS Photo Editor (from Word).

To do the former, select a .jpg file in Windows Explorer, hold down the shift key, & right click. There will be an option for Open with... Choose that option, check the box that says "Always use this program to open this type of file", scroll to MS Photo Editor, & click OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I only had Microsoft Paint available, but that may be because I installed Word, Excel and PowerPoint, rather than the full Suite. It's on my laptop which has limited space. I have XP on my desktop which includes a Rotate button on the Picture toolbar.

I was actually trying to resolve this for someone else, rather than for my own use, and I will ask them to reference this thread for all the suggestions.

Thanks for the information. I did not realize that 'In Line with text' would not allow this to be done; and, I would not have thought to change the Picture editor in the Edit options or to change the application to open that file type. This has been beneficial to me as well.

Thanks! Diane

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diane:
    This subject came up recently in another forum. Word 2002 lets you rotate pictures & 2000 doesn't. However, you can place text in an Excel cell, rotate it however many degrees you want, & then paste it into Word as a picture. I don't know how to rotate a picture in Excel, however.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, in Office 2000 as a whole, it is possible to add graphics via Insert | Object | Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0 Photo. This allows you ignore File association, but import an image and use all the functionality of Photo Editor, which includes such things as image rotation.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I haven't worked much with pictures, so I'm glad to see this.