Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Broken Toolbar button (XP)

I have created a monster and now I can't get rid of it.

I have a document that is mostly 2 tables. Each table has different kinds of information but follows a similar format: a few rows of information that belong to the same group followed by a "divider row" followed by another group of rows of info followed by a "divider row" ...

The divider row is a small row shaded a dark gray (62.5% I think). I adjusted its height to be Exactly .07 inches tall (from whatever it was).

When I needed to add another group, I would go to the last row marker, press enter to get a new row, go to the row marker for that new row, press enter again. Now I'd format the 2nd new row to be the divider row per above.

As you can guess I got tired of this pretty quickly so I decided to record a macro for formatting the divider row after adding the 2 rows manually. I called this macro DividerRow and added it only to the document (not to a template; the doc is based on the Normal template, which I don't think existed as a separate file prior to this since I hadn't customized anything else in the past in Normal.dot). I also customized the formatting toolbar to have a button for the macro. Herein seems to be the problem.

Of course, why stop at just the formatting of the row after I've manually added 2 rows? So, after positioning the insertion point in the last row of the table, I recorded another macro to be saved only in the doc: Insert 1 row below (current row), Insert 1 row below (current row, which is the first row added), format the 2nd row as my divider row. I called this macro Add2NewRows and added a button to my toolbar. Checked the code. The formatting part had exactly the same code for formatting as did Divider Row. So I decided to delete the Divider Row macro.

Now here come the weird part. Of course if you click the toolbar button for Divider Row, you get an error since the code no longer exists. So I remove the button by ALT dragging the button off the toolbar. OK. But it's not really gone!!!

If I close the document and re-open, the Divider Row button is back on the toolbar just where it was before. But there is now a Normal.dot in my Templates folder. I checked Normal.dot by opening it and there are no buttons on the task bar and no code in it. So I decide to rename it to xxNormal.dot so Word XP should (?) just use its internal version. I re-open the document and the Divider Row button is still there. So I delete it again.

Now here's a really weird thing. WIth no Divider Row button showing, I can click the Add2NewRows button (whether I'm in the table or not) and 2 new rows get added with the 2nd one formatted as a divider row. That's ok. But the DividerRow button comes back!!! (Of course, if I'm not in the table, the Add2NewRows macro doesn't work.)

How do I get rid of that DividerRow button once and for all???

Well, I just solved my problem but would appreciate an explanation of why. I decided to try one more thing before clicking Post It. Rather than ALT dragging the DividerRow off the toolbar, I went back to customize. I right clicked the DividerRow button and chose Delete from the menu. Now the button seems gone forever. I can close Word and re-open and DividerRow is gone (forever?). I thought ALT dragging the button off the toolbar did the same thing as Deleting while in Customize mode. Apparently not???

EDITED for update: I just checked my Template folder. Apparently another Normal.dot was just created. Apparently the deletion of the DividerRow button while in customize mode was considered a change (to what?) to cause a Normal.dot to be created.

Thanks.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Broken Toolbar button (XP)

Hi Fred:
    I hope someone has a better explanation, because mine is based on supposition. By the way, I can do the same thing in Word 2000. If you:
    1. Open a document.
    2. Go to Tools/Customize... commands & drag any command to a toolbar & make sure that the changes are saved to the document. When you close the doc, Word will ask if you want to save changes to the document.
    3. Close Word...you'll get no notice that there have been any changes to normal.dot.
    4. Reopen Word, the command isn't present.
    5. Open the doc, there's the button. Alt+Drag it off.
    6. Close the document...you aren't asked to save changes.
    7. Reopen the document....there's the button.

If you modify step 5 by using Tools/Customize... & drag the button off, you will be asked to save changes in step 6 & the button will be gone. Actually, you can bring the button back another way. Alt+Drag the button off. Go to Tools/Customize... & change the Save in box to normal.dot. Don't make any changes, just press Esc to dismiss the box. The buttons back.

My supposition is that when you add the button to a toolbar, you are adding it to a toolbar in normal.dot & the document, but saving the changes in the document. When you Alt+drag the button off, you aren't saving this change in the document; you're dragging it off the toolbar from normal.dot. When you close & reopen the document, the button from the document is still there.

I've never fully understood this behavior, so I hope someone has a better explanation.
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Broken Toolbar button (XP)

Hi Phil,

I figured you'd have a theory even if based on supposition.

I was coming to the same conclusion. The fact that you had the same behavior in Work 2K suggests that this isn't a result of how XP treats Normal.dot (creating a file if needed).

So I experimented a little more.
    1. Opened my troublesome Word doc (BTW: the old button is now gone) - call it X.doc
    2. Went to customize and added an arbitrary command button to the Formatting toolbar, observing that the Save In box at the bottom (at least in XP) was set to X.
    3. closed out of customize
    4. Alt dragged the button off the toolbar
    5. Closed word (not just X)
    6. no questions about updating the document
    7. observed that my Normal.dot was changed at this time
    8. reopened Word and X. Button is back.
    9. went into customize and dragged button off toolbar
    10. closed Word. Got msg about saving changes to X. Said yes.
    11. check time on Normal.dot - no change.
    12. reopen Word and X. Button is gone.

Seems like your supposition is right. I don't think this behavior is exactly intuitive! If Normal.dot is being changed, per the timestamp in Windows even if no request to save changes is made, when you Alt+drag the button off the toolbar, it's unclear why using the customize approach to delete the button asks if I want to save the changes to X instead of Normal.dot.

Is this some kind of "feature"?

Fred