3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Troubleshooting System

I apologize if this is not the forum to post this inquiry. My problem is the following: I use NTFSDOS Professional to read NTFS volumes from a downed system. Combined with PKZip, I can write small files to floppies. I can span files over a few floppies, too. However, spanning large files can take forever. In this situation, how could I write files from a downed NTFS system to a CD-R? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Troubleshooting System

Hi Roberto,

I think that at the very least you'd need to boot from CD or load the DOS CD-Driver (MSCDX.EXE?) plus a DOS-based CD-writer. I don't know of any of the latter.

Since the system's 'down' but still runs, why not hook up another HDD (eg to the CD-ROM cables) and simply copy to that HDD? OK, you'd have to open the case, but it still faster and less error-prone than copying to a plethora of floppy disks. You probably won't even have to zip the files!

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Will probably use a second 10Gb HDD I have in my PC. If you know of any software to write to a CD-RW from DOS, please let me know. Thanks, once again!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Roberto,
    Investigate the results of this Google search: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...cd+write+driver.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did the suggested search and I'm still digging. Being a DOS guy, I keep finding things I can use. Combined with the previous suggestion (2nd HDD) I believe I have it made! Thanks again to you all!