3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reference Manager (2000 sp3)

I have a love/hate relationship with RefMan, but mostly hate. (I love that it gives me job security, however.)
    I've done a proverbial potload of development around integrating Reference Manager with Word. I say "around" because, as you may already know, there is no API to speak of. ISI has told me that there is none, and since it is not ODBC compliant, there are no plans for one. (Not that one necessarily has anything to do with the other.)
    I assume you mean is there a way to hyperlink to the entry in the bibliography that is generated at the end if the Word document, and not the "Edit Database Reference(s)..." option that it provides on the toolbar (which takes you to the actual database entry, assuming the database is open.)
    The only way I can imagine something like that is via a "post-Generate Bibliography" utility that would link the in-document reference numbers to the same number in the bibliography, and that would almost certainly have to be home-grown. In developing similar "tools," the only option I've found is to work with the Fields collection in VBA, determine if it's a RefMan field, and then create another field around that and a bookmark in the Bibliography to which it can link. (Note that this won't work if certain Cite-While-You-Write options are selected, as the bibliography can automatically regenerate itself and discard any previous bookmarks.) The PDFMaker template/utility provided by Adobe should then be able to maintain those hyperlinks, although it won't do squat with RefMan fields by themselves.
    We do a lot of publishing here, and the approach we ended up taking is that we had a custom utility created that does that linking directly to the PDF (since Acrobat has and API that can be used.)
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reference Manager (2000 sp3)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Anyone have experience with Reference Manager from ISI Researchsoft? http://www.refman.com/
    Their tool does a great job with managing the references (hence the name, I guess), but it uses its own ADDIN fields, as opposed to MS Word REF fields to link the citations (e.g. (Borgel, 1997)) to the reference (Borgel, D. P. 1997, "The theory of something or other"...).

What I need is to be able to hyperlink from the citation to the ref, which is obvious with a REF field, and survives the transit to PDF using common tools.

Has anyone done this already, or will I have to invent this wheel? [Wheel will be for sale shortly if I do]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reference Manager (2000 sp3)

Mike,
    Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that was the case, and I just got a note back from their tech support confirming it. They think it's a good idea, and encouraged me to submit it to their feature request page (I'm sure I've done so years past).

Thanks for the note about the flightiness of the bibliography in Cite-While-You-Write. That'll save me a lot of frustration. Probably, I'll want to do it only as a pre-publish step to ensure finality of the bibliography, and ensure I do it each time we publish to ensure that they haven't been replaced. The code's pretty straightforward, so far as I can tell.