2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Daily Count (2000)

I have a table where a name and date is entered at sign in and then at sign out the date left is entered. The problem I have is how do I get these records in a table so I can count them by day. I need to be able to convert the data into a report that will show things like how many names on any given day or what is the average number of names for a week that type of thing. I need it to also count the name even if a left date is not entered yet. I hope I am making myself clear. I have attached a sample dB.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Daily Count (2000)

Hi Bill,

You don't need to create a table that duplicates the records, it would be redundant. Instead, I would create a table tblDates with a date/time field TheDate. Populate it with the range of dates you want to look at.
    Next, create a query based on tblSignin and tblDates. Add TheDate from tblDates and RecordID and Name from tblSignIn. Don't join the tables, but set the criteria for DateStart to < = [TheDate] and for DateEnd to > = [TheDate] Or Is Null. These fields are not shown.
    Note: to avoid problems with some browsers, I have inserted spaces between < or > and = and [TheDate]; these spaces shouldn't be typed.
    Save this query as tblDateList. It will serve as the basis for other queries. I have included two sample queries in the attached modified version of your database: one to count the number of records per day, the other to count the average number of records per day in a week.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Daily Count (2000)

Very elegant, thank you. As usual you are right on the mark.