New Lounger

Workgroup info file resets to default system.mdw (Access XP)

I have upgraded from Access 97 to Access 2002. I am using the same workgroup information file that I used in Access 97. With no real consistency, when trying to open a file you will get an error message stating that you do not have the necessary permissions to open the file. If you check security, you will see that the workgroup information file has been reset to the system.mdw file. This happens to all my users but with no real pattern or consistency. Any help or resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Workgroup info file resets to default system.mdw (Access XP)

I don't understand what problem you're describing. Did you upgrade the mdw file to XP? How are you opening the files? If you are not in the secured workgroup and you double click on an MDB to open it, you will see exactly the behavior you describe. The simplest way to deal with it is to use shortcuts for your secured databases and include the workgroup command line switch and the path to the secured mdw. If you do use shortcuts, you also have to include the full path to the MSAccess.exe for that version or the command line arguments will fail.