Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup Folder Troubles (Word 2000)

I'm setting up some templates for an office with 28 networked computers. Part of the setup includes two files that reside in the Startup folder, each adding a separate top-level menu to the Standard toolbar with a variety of macros accessed through the drop-down. Of the six computers that have been redirected to this Startup folder so far (via Tools/Options), three work fine and three don't. Those that don't work appear to load only one of the two templates, at least, only one of the top-level menus is evident. But when you click the menu, there is nothing in the drop-down list, just a blank box. When Word closes, you are asked if you want to save changes to the template which holds that menu. Those are the symptoms if you start Word directly. If you start Word by double-clicking on a Word file, one menu loads correctly, but not the other.

I thought at first that it was some problem with network rights, but the same person can log on to each of the computers in question, and the results are the same. Three work, three don't. I've never seen this type of behavior, and I have no idea of where to start looking for a solution. As far as I know, the computers are all configured the same way as far as memory, CPU speed, etc. It is a new project office, set up by the State, and everything they are using is brand new. There are no IT people on-site, but we can get someone from Olympia to come up if necessary, I think. I'd rather figure it out!

They want to roll out the templates on Wednesday morning, but we can't do so if they only work on half the computers. We discovered this problem last week, but thought it only affected one computer, so we weren't too worried about it in the short-term. But today we found that it was more widespread, which definitely throws a wrench in the works. Any ideas???

Many thanks!

--Karyl

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup Folder Troubles (Word 2000)

Hi Karyl:
    1. I would check to make sure that all the users have the startup folder pointed to the same folder under Tools/Options/File Locations.
    2. While you're there check that the Workgroups template folder points correctly.
    3. It appears that something is making changes to the template. I would go through the steps listed in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> to see if an add-in or macro is causing it. I suspect that the Data key (step 4 in the above post) may need deleting & rebuilding.

I would also run an up to date virus scan on each computer. Post back with the results or any additonal problems.
    Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup Folder Troubles (Word 2000)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. This job has been a real crunch!

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions. It turned out that the three computers that weren't working were all machines on which Adobe Acrobat had been installed. The Acrobat template was in the Office Startup folder. Moving it to the same folder as the other templates I was trying to load at startup fixed the problem.

Again, many thanks! Based on your suggestions, after ruling out those I'd already checked, this was the first thing that seemed likely and the first place I looked. So it was a fast fix--much needed during this development period.

--Karyl