Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-reference problems with Includetext (2000sr3)

I included a document with some figure headings (figure.doc) into another document (main.doc) using the includedtext field. In main.doc I created some cross-references to the heading numbers in figure.doc. After closing then opening the documents, all the cross-references in main.doc that pointed to the headings in figure.doc reported "error! reference source not found" (updating the cross-reference or the includetext field doesn't change the problem). When I investigated, I found that the headings now had differently numbered bookmarks than the ones originally referred to.
    Does this mean that I cannot cross-reference into the includetext file? Or is there a way of stopping this behaviour?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross-reference problems with Includetext (2000sr3)

Hi Bruce:
    Originally I thought you could put in the ! switch to prevent the Includetext field from updating it's own bookmarks, but that turns out to be incorrect. Every time you update the Includetext field, you destroy the hidden bookmark. i.e. you can't format the Includetext field as a Heading or Caption, then insert a cross-reference (Word will insert a hidden bookmark) & have it stay. When you update the field, the hidden bookmark disappears. You don't even have to close & reopen the document to see it...just select everything & press F9 & you'll get the error message.

One way around this is bookmark the Includetext field with it's own bookmark & then insert a cross-reference to that bookmark.
    Hope this helps,