5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message (2000)

I created a report using a software package called Impromptu. I saved the report as Excel. The file has 78,100 records. The file seemed to save OK but when I try to open it in Excel I get the following error: 'Enroll_363.xls" cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.

The file is not read-only, the location where the file is, is not read-only and the server is reponding.

I searched the Microsoft Knowledge base and found article 182671 but it referred to excel 97 and said the problem would be corrected with the next release of Microsoft office. Since I have Excel 2000, I would think the problem would be fixed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message (2000)

I am not sure this is related, but Excel can handle "only" 65536 rows. Does it work when you have a report with less than that amount?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it does work with smaller files. Usually the file saves to different worksheets in the same workbook. I am not sure why the overflow from this file just doesn't go to another worksheet. I have saved larger files and when I open the workbook, I may have 10 or 11 worksheets.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

hmm. So sometimes it does work?

What happens if you save the file to a local HD?

Another thing to check is virus scanner settings. Norton has an Office plugin I tend to switch off because it sometimes causes trouble.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

To me it sounds like an IMPROMPTU software problem in how it creates the excel spreadsheet and what it does when there are too many rows. Are there any options in impromptu to force "cutting up" into smaller fragments that is within the excel limits?

Steve