Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How to handle large documents in Word 97?

The biggest document I've ever worked with in Word 97 was 33 A4 pages, with a Table of Contents and about 100 different fonts. It is quite possible that I will have to assist with a 240-page academic manual, which is almost all text and needs a ToC, Index, footnotes, headers and footers and so on.

What would be the best way to tackle this? Make each chapter a separate document and use a Master document? (In which case, how to handle the ToC and index?) Or just create one huge document? Nobody need stress the need for backups...!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How to handle large documents in Word 97?

John,

As long as the document is primarily text, that length shouldn't be a problem. We routinely produce 200 page legal agreements with TOC, section breaks etc. with few problems based on size of the document.
    A shorter document with lots of graphics or linking is more likely to cause problems than a longer one that is mainly text.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the consensus is to avoid the master document feature.

Gary

kelliel

I have to agree with Gary.

I have created 500+ documents in Word without any trouble. of course, if your 500+ document has as many fonts used as your example document, you may well have some serious problems...most likely when printing.

I have no experience with the Master/Sub document feature of Word 97. I know that in Word 6, using it was not a pretty sight. IOW, the feature stank!

If you do use the Master/Sub document feature, your TOC and indices will be no problem. Searching the sub documents for TOC and index entries is the one of the purposes of Master Docs.

kelliel

You may want to see this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=33336&page=0&vie w=expanded&sb=5>thread</A> about Master Docs.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both - I assume that 500+ refers to 500 pagesplus? This new document will probably be in one or two fonts only, and so I will take the advice to avoid Master documents like the plague (in French, "comme la plage"?! It's this sort of "been there, done it before" advice that this board is so valuable for!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

kelliel

Yes, that's exactly what 500+ pages means. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

With the criteria that you have shared, I don't foresee that you will have any problems.