Star Lounger
    Thanks

DNS internal & external

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone else has solved this problem.

I have a Win2K domain, with a number of Win2K clients. AD is running. There is a router that is handling DHCP and is the gateway out to the internet. I have not been able to figure out how to get the clients to access both the internal DNS server for logon and authentication-type stuff, as well as the external internet, without problems. As things now stand, clients can access the internet because the router is providing them IP and gateway address info, but the event logs are saying "Windows cannot determine the user or computer name."
    How do you set up the network (which as I understand has to be set up as a root server) to look to the internal DNS server, as well as be able to get out to the internet?

Thanks for any help.

Charlie T.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DNS internal & external

Typically you get your clients to send all requests to your internal DNS server, and set this server up to do recursive lookups to an external DNS server.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DNS internal & external

Thanks, but I found that Win2K, because it was set up as the root DNS server for the network, had all the options for recursive / DNS forwarding grayed out. I did a search and found that by deleting the root zone file, then the recursive/forwarding options became available, and that did the trick.

Charlie T.