New Lounger
    Thanks

Relocating program files

Trying to free up more space on Win98 hd.
    Can I relocate the program file folder to another hard disk?
    If so how
    JW

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Relocating program files

I've just been through this exercise and there's a fair bit of info on this forum under "Backup Strategy" and related posts. It's not a difficult exercise to relocate the Program Files location to another partition, using the tweakui utility. But there's a bit of a gotcha (see the thread starting with <post#=346397>post 346397</post#>).

You'll also have to decide whether to try to move or reinstall any of the existing "program files". Reinstall is doubtless the cleanest and easiest option, but there are utilities around that are supposed to facilitate such relocation.

Another great suggestion in these threads was to move all the temp stuff to its own partition, as well as the swapfile.

Alan

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Probably easier to move your data files to the new disk. Mind you, if the 'other' disk is larger & faster, you'd be even better off copying all of the OS & programs over to it, then changing the hardware setup so that this becomes your C drive (assuming Windows in on C).

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is is worth winging about this Windows98?
    I just had to logon again: new LogonName, now my continuity is stuffed.
    Nothing has changed to my Win98 conditions.
    But of course that means nothing:
    For what it is worth.
    I have calculated the Windows possible error permutations on 200 objects i.e. .com's or .exe's:
    The calculation is based upon 200 factorial (a Smalltalk V command string).
    The number is 375 digits long !
    Sorry guys, but is there a Woodies corner I can got to and just cry?
    Justin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your response is confusing. Did you not understand macropod's suggestion? His second suggestion just involves first configuring your new drive as an additional drive, then using the DOS diskcopy command to copy all of C: to your new drive D:. Finally shutdown, remove the old drive, put it away in a safe place so you have a recovery drive, reconfigure the new drive jumpers for a single drive, and boot. Manually moving files is not a good idea, something will always go wrong. As cheap as new disks are, it's not worth the risk.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Moving the Program files folder is truly a challenge. There are over 6,000 references to C:WindowsProgram Files in my registry. So, clearly, moving the folder without modifying the registry will certainly break or confuse many programs!

We recently discussed this in another forum. Many of the tools that help you move programs work best when they are used to monitor the original installation -- during which time they record the registry modifications that occur. Then, when they are used to move the program they know all the keys and values that need to get changed.

Alternatively, there are Registry Editing programs that have a "Search and Replace" function. So, after you moved the folder, you could then modify the registry using one of these. Trying to make changes to 6,000 registry entries using Microsoft's regedit program would lead to severe, irreversible psychological illness.

As above, it is far easier to move your data files (My Documents).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Guys. I raged and tore up a good tissue, now I'm back. I'm one of those stubborn bathtubs who has been fighting bloat since I first started using C/PM in the early 80's. The first DOS was too fat for me.
    I took the "move the data" option and recovered about 500Mb and moved my swap file to a third disk. It's working much better.
    Thanks again.
    My next move it to find out what is happening inside this horrible little Win98 beast. Any suggestions for a trace?
    While I'm at it; In the old days of TSR's (todays virus), the only thing we had to worry about was the order we loaded them.
    Does that still apply?
    I've got about 6 freebies on my right toolbar ie, Webwasher, SpyBot, Sygate (firewall), AVG, RAMidle, Norton Registry Tracker.
    But I don't really know how to order them for efficiency. Any tips?
    The thread name is a bit misleading too. should I close it off and start again.
    Boy am I a niusance.
    Sorry.
    JW
    PS: I've got a few tricks I can share with you