New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Crashing (2002)

I have 2 very annoying problems. First, Outlook crashes on me several times a day. Usually it occurs when I click the SEND button after composing a message. The program then prompts me to report the error to Microsoft or not, and then the program closes. The 2nd issue is that I often have 2 or 3 instances of Outlook running in the background (seen by using TaskManager) even after I close the program! (?) It seems that the previous instance of the program never really properly shut down. Any tips are greatly appreciated. I'm running XP Professional on a very new and fast machine.

Thanks,
    Bob Rock

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Crashing (2002)

Any chance you are using Word as the E-Mail editor... this option turned on does weird things to your memory - because it is using both programs to create an e-mail. It is a default setting in Outlook XP and greater - to find, Tools, Options, Mail Format. Try turning it off and find how Outlook is working. Good luck... trish

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nope. It is not checked. It just happened again. I spent about 20 minutes composing my email, then when I clicked SEND it gave me the "Report Error" window and shut down. Unfortunately I did not think to copy all text before trying to send, so now I have to retype everything again. VERY annoying.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are the crashes when you send a message with an attachment? Are the crashes associated with a message that has been temporarily saved as a Draft? How many messages are in your Sent Folder? It sounds like this is a stand-alone machine, not on a Server such as Exchange, is that correct?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    Yes, this is a stand alone machine, networked only to other machines in my home office. The last crash was indeed a message which contained image attachments, but I'm not sure now if that has been the situation in previous email. I'll have to watch for it more closely. My SENT folder is quite large, but I continue to delete older messages on a weekly basis (I try to hold on to the past year of messages). My current SENT folder is about 314Mb in size. My entire Outlook backup file is about 1GB in size. Lately I HAVE been saving copies of larger messages in DRAFT first so that if it crashes, I still have a backup. But it crashes with or without this step. Is that any more helpful?

Thanks,

Bob Rock

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How big is your Current PST? If you are approaching the 2GB upper limit on PST size, then you should be a bit more drastic about archiving. HTH
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks

As indicated in my previous post, my total backup size (*.pst) is around 1GB.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Still not enough info to pin this down, but I recommend that you follow the registry changes outlined in <!profile=MaryJ>MaryJ<!/profile>'s <!post=StarPost,95584>StarPost<!/post>.

Then I recommend that you clean out all your Sent messages to a Folder in your PST, in groups of 20 or so, and see if one particular group causes a problem, then see if you can narrow that group down to a specifc corrupt message. (These may not solve the problem, but we're trying to narrow it down.)

You mention your "backup" PST. Do you have more than one PST? Do you understand that on a standalone machine with no server-side mailbox, everything is in your primary PST? Can you explain how your PST(s) is/are set up?
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I notice that we are focusing on the crash issue and not the multiple Outlook instance issue in your first post. Do the multiple instances only occur after the crash, or are they occurring before crash? (Use Task Manager to review number of instances.)
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

John: No, the crashes seem to be independent of the multiple programs running. For example, I could be working on something entirely different (say Photoshop or Word) with no other major programs running, including Outlook. I might notice that things are running a bit slow so I'll check the task manager, and lo and behold there's Outlook running in two or three separate instances in the background, but nowhere to be seen on my desktop or taskbar.

Other times that I notice this is when I try to start Outlook and it doesn't start up, or I get the logo but it never completes loading up. Usually when that happens it's got a couple more instances of the program running already. I just don't get it since I always shut it down when I'm through.

I DO have Norton Internet Security and Anti Virus installed and running (which as you know is integrated with Outlook), but I'm not sure if that's affecting it at all. It seems that only for the past couple weeks that this crash stuff is going on, and I've had Norton installed for months and months.

Thanks for any further input.

Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    I use only ONE pst file, the default program pst called "outlook.pst". I backup my pst to a file called "backup.pst" on a separate external drive. So in total I have TWO pst files existing on two separate drives. But I do not access different pst files, just the main file.

So, for starters, you're suggesting I move all "SENT" items to another folder (SENT2 for example) within the same default folder list? Okay. If that corrects the problem, then I'll start moving them back into the SENT folder in small groups until I get it to crash again. Is that what you are suggesting? Just want to be clear.

Thanks,
    Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>you're suggesting I move all "SENT" items to another folder (SENT2 for example) within the same default folder list? ... then I'll start moving them back into the SENT folder in small groups until I get it to crash again.<hr>
    Not exactly within the default folder list, rather as a new folder separate from the default folders, but otherwise, yes, that's what I mean. If there is a corrupt message, you'll probably have problems as soon as you try to move it, not later when you move it back. BTW, what is the count of messages in your Sent Folder?
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not having any brilliant ideas here. Here are three maintenance steps that shouldn't hurt. In each case you need to close all and Outlook Windows and instances of Outlook. You might also want to check that after you think they are closed that no instances of MAPI.EXE running:

--At the Start, Run prompt run (adjust the path as necessary)
    "Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOUTLOOK.EXE" /cleanviews /resetfolders

--At the Start, Run prompt run (adjust the path as necessary)
    "windowssystem32fixmapi"

--Follow the instruction in <!mskb=232314>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 232314<!/mskb> for clearing the forms cache.

Are you using Instant Messenger?
    UTC -7ąDS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I get the logo but it never completes loading up"
    This will normally happen if a copy is already running. It appears that you have something that is not allowing Outlook to shut down or is being started by an out side program.

Do you have any Fax or Palm / Pocket PC software running?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.