Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Freezes even in safe mode (Home SP1a)

After trying to install some new sound card drivers my PC froze never to return again. The first couple of times (without my intervention) I got my intro screen but no icons or tool bars. The very first time I got a message saying the registry had been recovered from some back up file. I've tried several reboots with all possible options - always results in the start screen and nothing else. Even in safe mode result is same. If I get to DOS prompt I run scandisk and bring up a cluster of errors but after repair the result is the same. I tried using recovery console but I don't know what I'm trying to recover because I get no error messages of any kind. I did the usual checks but no difference.
    Anyone have any ideas? TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: XP Freezes even in safe mode (Home SP1a)

Can you remove the sound card and get the PC to boot? If so, then use System Restore to go to a point before your driver installation.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for your suggestion. I removed the soundcard completely but the bootup was as usual and stopped at the welcome screen. I then tried every option that F8 allowed but nothing. I reinstalled the soundcard again and repeated all the options but it's still sticking.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you tried " Fixboot or Fixmbr" using Recovery Console? Here is a list of Commands you can use.