Thread: Fax Software

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fax Software

Hello folks, I have a serious problem I just know you can help me with. I've contracted to provide a virtual office and one of the major requirements is for me to receive faxes and distribute them via email. I'm using Winfax ver. 10 right now but have had nothing but eternal grief. It just isn't stable. Does anyone have a recommendation of good fax software. I'll pay whatever it takes so long as it's stable and provides good support. Running on a Win 2000 Advanced Server platform. Help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fax Software

Have you looked into a service like EFax? My sister has been using them for a year with excellent results. All faxes come in as email on a phone number you choose when you set it up. If you are getting a lot of faxes and need to send them as email, this is your best bet. No additional software needed.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Sinjin, I'll definitely give that look. Problem is, I already have a toll free incoming line all set and humming. I have found out a little more regarding Winfax 10. It would appear there are known issues with Win 2000 Advanced Server, I've moved the fax to a WinXP platform for now and it seems to be relatively stable, but I still have some issues. There is once incomplete fax transmission in the Received log that causes Winfax to halt if you even look at it. What a pain. It's too bad because Winfax purports to allow neat interaction through a software development kit included with ver. 10.

Thanks

I used (and loved) Winfax for many years but eventually gave up when it became an excessive resource hog and distinctly did not like any network interruptions!

Depending on your other software configuration, it may be worth taking a look at RelayFax which we run alongside its sister mailserver application, MDaemon - both of which hum along nicely on our W2K Server. It has a wide range of image formats - TIF, JPG, BMP etc. - which can be viewed without proprietary software. Multiple rules can be set up to determine where incoming faxes go, and can be sent to printers or forwarded automatically by email.

Support from Alt-n for all their software is outstanding.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif, that looks very promissing. I've downloaded a 30 day trial and will give it workout.