New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail via Lotus Notes (Access 2000/xp)

I have an access app that sends an HTML table via attachment to email. works fine on Outlook or express but errors on machines running Notes:
    error is 429: ActiveX component can't create object!
    What have i done wrong?
    All dll and DBs installed via packaging wiz.
    Please help
    thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mail via Lotus Notes (Access 2000/xp)

This kind of issue comes up from time to time. Check out the threads starting with these posts:
    <post#=257218>post 257218</post#>
    <post#=265810>post 265810</post#>
    <post#=215298>post 215298</post#>
    Hopefully one of those will suggest things to try.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the links. Scott had some good code that will send by Notes but now I have to determine the email client so I can pick which code to use.
    Should i just call outlook and if not installed trap the error and run notes code?
    appreciate your time.
    Brian

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

In referencing to determining the default e-mail client on user's machine, you can try retrieving this information from the Windows Registry. For sample code to do this, see my reply in a recent thread (on an unrelated subject):

<!post=Re: Regional Date Settings (2000/XP),350975>Re: Regional Date Settings (2000/XP)<!/post>

This post has a code module attached that can be imported into an Access project. You can then use the GetRegValString function like this example:

? GetRegValString(HKLM, "SoftwareClientsMail", vbNullString)
    Microsoft Outlook

Note that to get the default value for a Registry key (sometimes displayed as (Default) in Registry Editor) with this function, pass a Null string for the third argument (Value Name). (The 1st arg is a constant representing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and 2nd arg is name of key/subkey to get value of.) I cannot address any questions about using Lotus Notes with Access - I've never used Lotus Notes. As seen above, the computer I'm using now has Outlook as the default email client (standard where I work....) You'll have to test on machine with Lotus Notes installed as default client to see what text string is returned from Registry for Lotus.

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for this. Looks good. I will test for outlook and outlook is not returned will use Notes code.
    Brian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool, I can determine the mail client now. I also need to find out how to add an HTML table attachment to lotus notes.
    i am almost there with:
    Call rtItem.embedobject(1454, "", Attachment)
    but need the 3 input variables defined please? - this is Lotus notes specific and I don't have a copy!
    thanks
    Brian

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

While "researching" an unrelated issue, by chance came across some Lotus links. Recommend check this link & download the Domino and Notes Toolkit for COM Guide (a compiled HTML Help file):

Lotus Documentation - COM Toolkit 1.0 (English)

As noted, we don't use Lotus Notes where I work, but went ahead & downloaded file just for "fun" (?). Opened file & checked entry for EmbedObject method. A short excerpt:

Syntax
    Set notesEmbeddedObject = notesRichTextItem.EmbedObject( type%, class$, source$, [ name$ ] )

Parameters

type%
    Constant. Indicates if you want to create an attachment, an embedded object, or a object link. May be any of the following:

EMBED_ATTACHMENT (1454)
    EMBED_OBJECT (1453)
    EMBED_OBJECTLINK (1452)

Note The above constants are also used with the Type property in the NotesEmbeddedObject class.

class$
    String.

If you are using EMBED_OBJECT and want to create an empty embedded object from an application, use this parameter to specify the name of the application (for example, "1-2-3 Worksheet") and specify an empty string ("") for source$. Case-sensitive.
    If you are using EMBED_OBJECTLINK or EMBED_ATTACHMENT, specify an empty string ("").

source$
    String.

If you are using EMBED_OBJECT and want to create an embedded object from a file, use this parameter to specify the name of the file, and specify an empty string ("") for class$.

If you are using EMBED_ATTACHMENT or EMBED_OBJECTLINK, use this parameter to specify the name of the file to attach or link.

name$
    String. Optional. Name by which you can reference the NotesEmbeddedObject later. This parameter is only used for OLE/2 objects and does not include attachments.

Return value
    notesEmbeddedObject
    The newly attached file, embedded object, or linked object.

For more specifics, recommend download file & look up this method. Also recommend check other links on the IBM Lotus site, you may find some other useful information for automating email with Lotus Notes. (Note: the term "COM" here means you can use this code in a COM-based language like VB/VBA using CreateObject, GetObject, etc.)

HTH